Basking sharks recorded breaching off the coast of Ireland
Basking sharks have been recorded breaching off the coast of Ireland. Scientists used a monitoring device secured to a 25 foot basking shark that recorded a breaching event after three hours. Additionally, the team recorded 20 breaches from basking sharks while being filmed from shore. Although the team was able to record breaching events as well as estimate speeds during the events, the question of why basking sharks breach is still unanswered.
GoPro announces HERO7 cameras
GoPro has announced three HER07 cameras. The Black camera offers Hypersmooth in-camera image stabilization and recording in 4K60 video, 1080p240, and 12MP photos. Both the Silver and White versions have some stabilization with recording at 4K30 and 1440/60 respectively. All the models are waterproof to 33 ft (10 m) without a housing.
Episode 6 of Timor-Leste From Below has been released
Episode 6 of the Scubazoo web series Timor-Leste from Below has been released. This episode focuses on the very special sperm whales of Timor-Leste. “Once feared by sailors on the high seas, sperm whales hold a special place in human history. However despite being the largest predator on the planet these ocean giants are greatly misunderstood. Bertie ventures into the waters off Dili, Timor-Leste to try and encounter a real life Moby Dick!”
Alien Skin releases Exposure X4
Lone narwhal adopted by beluga pod in St. Lawrence River
A wayward narwhal, that has been spotted for the last three years in the St. Lawrence River, has been hanging out with some friendly beluga whales. A video shot in July shows the narwhal swimming among a pod of juvenile male beluga whales. The video was shot by the Group for Research and Education on Marine Mammals (GREMM), a not for organization that focuses on whale research, conservation, and education.
Ikelite ships 8 inch DLM port
Sea&Sea releases housing for Sony a7 Mark III
Sea&Sea are shipping their housing for the Sony a7 Mark III mirrorless camera. It is compatible with all Sea&Sea’s DX port series, optical viewfinders and S1 Optical Converter and features a Buoyancy Pocket that can accommodate an additional power pack to power the camera and helps to make the relatively small housing only 700 grams negative in the water.
Seacam ships housing for Sony a7 Mark III
- Google’s new AI can score photos based on technical and… (via )
- Story behind the shot of a crocodile behind Jennifer Hayes (via )
- Best underwater swimming photos of 2017 (via )
- Reminder: OWU and Deep 2018 are open for entries (via )
- 400-year old shark discovered (via )
- Arri has just made Software Update Package 5.2 for the Arri… (via )
- Firmware version 2.50 is available for Sony A7R Mark III (via )
- Canon EOS C300 Mark II firmware updated to version 18.104.22.168.00 (via )
- Canon releases firmware version 22.214.171.124.00 for EOS C300 (Dual… (via )
- Canon updates EOS C100 (Dual Pixel upgraded) to version… (via )