Call for Entries: UPY 2017
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries for the 2017 competition. This year it offers 11 categories, including one for the Underwater Photography Book of the year. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the results due to be announced in early February.
Article: Japanese Giant Salamanders by Don Silcock
Subal announces housing for OM-D E-M1 Mark II
2017 Wreck and Shark Shootout dates announced
Issue 25 of Anima Mundi available
Inon announces compatibility with RX100 cameras
Inon has released details of the compatibility of their products with the Sony DSC-RX100 series housings for RX100 Mark 1 through to 5 cameras. Included are Inon’s wide angle and macro conversion lenses, strobes, arms and LED lights.
President Obama announces Arctic protection
President Obama has banned drilling for oil and gas in the majority of US-owned Arctic and North Atlantic. Canada has concurrently applied the same protection to its waters in the area. The US president has used a 1953 law which bans the leasing of offshore resources indefinitely. (Picture from Shutterstock.)
Octopus research video wins Emmy
A video about the work of Dr. Cliff Ragsdale, professor of neurobiology at the University of Chicago, has won an Emmy. The team sequenced the entire genome of the California two-spot octopus (Octopus bimaculoides), the first cephalopod ever to be sequenced. One of the biggest divergences from other invertebrates that the team discovered was much greater nervous system development, very similar to what is found in vertebrates.
- Two-headed sharks keep turning up (via )
- The NYTimes unveils the daily 360 (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve to 12.5.3 (via )
- NG photo of the day - Wave (via )
- New wetsuit material mimics fur (via )
- Before the Flood airs on NG Channel Oct 30th (via )
- Birdie, for tossing your GoPro into the air (via )
- Underwater explosions captured in slim (via )
- Photographs of an upside-down underwater world (via )
- NG photo of the day Whale Shark (via )