Sony Europe has announced a firmware upgrade for their interchangeable lens NEX-VG10E HD camcorder. This will allow full autofocus with 14 A-mount lenses, when used in conjunction with the LA-EA1 Mount Adapter, which also needs a separate firmware upgrade.
Available now for download, a free firmware upgrade adds autofocus support with 14 A-mount SAM and SSM lens models. AF compatibility of the NEX-VG10E with A-mount lenses requires the optional LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor, plus a separate firmware upgrade for the LA-EA1.
The upgrade lets videographers enjoy smooth, accurate AF operation with the family of A-mount optics that includes telephotos, primes and zooms by Sony and Carl Zeiss.
The latest firmware upgrade by Sony for registered Handycam® NEX-VG10E customers is available here.
Autofocus function is supported with these A-mount lenses:
- DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM [SAL1855]
- 28-75mm F2.8 SAM [SAL2875]
- DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM [SAL55200-2]
- DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM [SAL30M28]
- DT 35mm F1.8 SAM [SAL35F18]
- DT 50mm F1.8 SAM [SAL50F18]
- 85mm F2.8 SAM [SAL85F28]
- Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM [SAL1635Z]
- Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM [SAL2470Z]
- Distagon T* 24mm F2 ZA SSM [SAL24F20Z]
- 70-200mm F2.8 G [SAL70200G]
- 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM [SAL70300G]
- 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM [SAL70400G]
- 300mm F2.8 G [SAL300F28G]
AF support also requires firmware upgrade for optional LA-EA1 Lens Mount Adapter. With an A-mount lens attached to NEX-VG10E, autofocus takes approximately 2 to 7 seconds. Actual AF time with A-mount lens may vary depending on the subject and shooting conditions. There is no possibility to use continuous AF with A-mount lenses in movie and still mode.
To avoid recording mechanical noise during AF operation, Sony recommends use of a stereo microphone (sold separately) with stereo-mini plug (e.g. ECM-CG50).