Earlier today, TechCrunch signposted that a beta release of Adobe Lightroom 5 (LR5) is imminent. In an article that has subsequently been taken down, TechCrunch listed the new software as having an improved spot removal tool which has a new algorithm and the shape of the tool can be customized (ideal of backscatter removal), a spot highlighting tool, a selective enhancement engine and a new tool called upright that corrects both distortion and horizontal skewing. Lastly, LR 5 beta adds the ability to work on images in a preview mode, that does not require the images to be physically present. Changes are synced once the actual images are reconnected to the previews.
Adobe has now released the beta and it is available as a free download on Adobe Labs.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Public Beta Now Available.
Adobe today announced the availability of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 beta for Windows and Mac. Adobe Lightroom is the essential photography workflow application allowing photography enthusiasts and professionals to enhance, organize and share photos. The Lightroom 5 beta offers a free, public preview of new features and tools that will be offered in the final release, expected later this year.
“Lightroom is the essential tool for busy professional and discerning amateur photographers, who are uncompromising in the pursuit for image quality or searching for artistic expression,“ said Winston Hendrickson, vice president of digital imaging products, Adobe. “The Lightroom 5 beta is highly valuable in ensuring the new features support and address the needs of our customers and we look forward to hearing feedback.”
Lightroom 5 beta offers photographers and enthusiasts many new features including:
* Advanced Healing Brush allows customers to heal imperfections and remove distracting elements.
* Upright tool analyzes an image to automatically level horizons and straighten objects like buildings to correct a keystone effect.
* Radial Gradient tool creates off-center or multiple vignette effects.
* Smart Previews allow customers to edit images without needing the original raw file.
* Video slideshow enables customers to combine still images, video clips and music in a creative HD slideshow.
* Upgrades to the Book module enhancing the ability to create, customize and order elegant photo books using a variety of tailored templates.
Lightroom 5 beta marks the fifth consecutive version Adobe has offered the software for public preview and testing prior to the final release. Adobe encourages customers to provide comments through its community forums on both new and legacy features. Feedback offered may be integrated into updates added before the final version of the software is released.
Pricing and Availability.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 beta is available immediately as a free download for both Windows and Mac. Customers can submit feedback on the community powered feedback site Customers can also connect with the Lightroom team directly on Facebook, via Twitter or on the Adobe Lightroom blog. For Lightroom how-to videos, visit the Lightroom YouTube site.