Amidst all the new product announcements today, Apple also released a major upgrade to its video editing app, Final Cut Pro X. Amongst the features added is native support for REDCODE RAW, dual viewers, chapter markers in the timeline, the option of expanding multichannel audio files in the timeline and redesigned import and share interfaces.
Final Cut Pro Version 10.0.6 is available now as a free download for existing owners via the App Store. Apple has also updated Motion X to Version 5.0.5 and Compressor to 4.0.5.
Full details of the changes to Final Cut Pro are as follows (from the App Store):
- Expand multichannel audio files directly in the timeline for precise editing of individual audio channels.
- Unified import window for transferring media from both file-based cameras and folders of files.
- Redesigned Share interface for exporting projects and range selections to one or more destinations.
- RED camera support with native REDCODE RAW editing and optional background transcode to Apple ProRes.
- MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins.
- Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color.
- Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc.
- Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip.
- Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips.
- Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline.
- Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke.
- Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more.
- New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip.
- Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects.
- XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps.