Nauticam announces housing for Hassleblad H4D and H3D
Nauticam has announced their NA-H4D housing for the Hasselblad H4D/H3D digital medium format camera systems. It features Nauticam’s two stage shutter release, A customizable lever on the right hands side for AEL or focus functions and multi direction pad on the left for image browsing and menu function access.
New Year’s greetings to the Wetpixel Community
All off us at Wetpixel wish everyone celebrating the Gregorian New Year a very happy New Year. 2016 has been another amazing year in the Wetpixel community largely due to the amazing willingness of people to share their skills, time and experience so freely. May 2017 bring you amazing encounters, hassle free travel, phenomenal light and safe diving!
Philippines declares million hectare MPA
Scientists determine fish are magnetic
In a study recently published in Current Biology, scientists from the University of Oldenberg in Germany have determined that fish use magnetic fields to find their way back to their birthplace. Consistent experiments show that the larvae of Doederlein’s cardinalfish, Ostorhinchus doederleini, will swim south south-east after being thrust into the ocean’s currents. However, when scientists applied a magnetic field to tanks of newly hatched larvae, and then adjusted it by 180-degrees, the fish adjusted their direction every time.
National Geographic and NPS explores inside the well preserved USS Arizona
Archaeologists from the National Park Service and photographers from National Geographic have just completed a 10-day expedition to document interior portions of the U.S.S. Arizona that have previously not been seen since the ships’ sinking in 1941. The 608-foot long battleship sits in 40-feet of water and is one of the most well studied shipwrecks, but sections within the ship have been unreachable until now.
Call for Entries: UPY 2017
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries for the 2017 competition. This year it offers 11 categories, including one for the Underwater Photography Book of the year. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the results due to be announced in early February.
Article: Japanese Giant Salamanders by Don Silcock
Subal announces housing for OM-D E-M1 Mark II
- Canon updates C300 Mark II firmware to 126.96.36.199 (via )
- Turkish scuba diver set new world record after 6 days underwater (via )
- Behind the scenes of an underwater photo shoot (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom to CC2015.6.1 (via )
- A dam in Montana threatens extinction of the pallid sturgeon (via )
- Flickr to be owned by Verizon in Yahoo deal (via )
- Adobe updates Camera Raw CC to 9.6.1 (via )
- Mick Fanning returns to J-Bay and wins one year after great… (via )
- Underwater photo of Michael Phelps and US Olympic swimmers (via )
- Cuba: a model for sustainable tourism (via )