Call for protection of the Pitcairn Islands
The BBC reports that researchers are calling for the protection of the marine environment around the mid-Pacific Pitcairn Islands. An international team of scientists have stated that the waters around the islands have “unique global value that is irreplaceable”, and that of the fish species found, about half were endemic. (Image from Shutterstock).
Expedition seeks to decode sperm whale vocalizations
Canon updates Digital Photo Professional
Apple to stop development of Aperture
Apple has announced that with the release of its new OS later this summer, it will discontinue development of its photo editing app Aperture. It will be replaced in the new OS by an app called Photos, which will also enlace iPhoto. Apple have stated that there will be a migration path for Aperture users to Photos, although as the later seems to be largely cloud based, this may be challenge for those with big libraries.
Actor Adrian Grenier visits Mission 31 Aquarius habitat
Actor and Filmmaker, Adrian Grenier scuba dives and visits Aquarius Reef Base during Fabien Cousteau’s Mission 31. In addition to his acting and filmmaking career, Adrian is an ocean advocate and regularly contributes to causes and organizations supporting the world’s oceans.
Seawalls: Murals for Oceans by PangeaSeed
PangeaSeed, an international nonprofit that aims to connect people to the ocean through art, is sending several well known street artists to Isla Mujeres this summer for the annual whale shark aggregation to swim with sharks and then create an inspiring mural as part of its Sea Walls project.
Nikon announces the D810 SLR
Nikon has announced the D810 SLR. The camera features a new 36.3 megapixel FX-format (7360 x 4912 resolution) CMOS sensor, AF via the Multi-Cam 3500-FX AF sensor module and the EXPEED 4 image processing engine. These means that, compared with the D800, the camera has improved ISO performance, faster and more accurate AF and a faster frame rate.
New paper on “Disco Clams”
- Nikon updates D4s firmware to C:1.01 (via )
- How plastic bags end up in ocean garbage patches (via )
- Up to 32 percent of seafood in US caught illegally (via )
- David Doubilet split shot NG photo of the day (via )
- Are we using too much Photoshop? (via )
- 325 million year old shark fossil discovered (via )
- Scientists solve case of CA red abalone die off (via )
- Eyefi launches cloud service, photos everywhere immediately (via )
- Daniel Botelho on assignment for NG (via )
- Pixels.com puts photographers in charge for a change (via )