Sailors for the Sea launches Ocean Watch magazine
March issue of X Ray Mag available
The March 2015 issue of X Ray Magazine is now available for download. In issue #65, there are articles about Tiger Beach San Salvador and the Shark Feeder Program, Bahamas. In addition diving in Iceland, Malpelo, Kyrgyzstan and cave diving in China are featured along with GoPro use underwater.
Nauticam ships housing for Sony A7 Mark II
Nauticam has announced that their housing for the Sony a7 Mark II mirrorless camera is now shipping. The NA-A7II features lever controls for AF-ON, review and record. In addition, it features a switch to enable or disable the EVF. The port selection offers support for the Sony 16-25mm f4 rectilinear wide-angle zoom.
Video: Diving with a giant pyrosome
Video: Living Isle
Off the coast of Honduras is a chain of islands known as Cayos Cochinos. The islands have been recognized as a vital portion of the Meso-American Reef and are now protected as a marine sanctuary where commercial fishing is banned. However, the Garifuna people have been living and fishing there since the 18th century and continue to be allowed to do so to this day.
Video: Amanda Cotton Behind the Lens
Underwater photographer Amanda Cotton, in conjunction with Lee Burghard of Wild Shutter Imaging has posted a short film of her in action during a shoot. In the film she explains her motivation in shooting images: “I like to try and tell a story with my images, to show a connection between the person and the environment they find themselves in. The bond between a human being and nature….”
Sony announces new lenses
Sony has announced a series of new lenses and converters. For underwater use, these include the FE 90mm f2.8 macro, the FE 28mm f2 wide-angle, two new wide-angle converters and two fisheye converters.
Video: Wakatobi Part 2 by Earth Touch
This week’s Earth Touch’s World Oceans episode features more footage from Wakatobi. It includes footage of the rare and very camera shy blue-faced angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon), some unusual sea fans and hundreds of different species of fish congregating around vividly coloured corals.
- Build your own plastic camera (via )
- Sylvia Earle’s latest blog post on Huffington Post Green (via )
- UW photos of Bryde’s whale in full balloon mode (via )
- Coca Rocha talks about using moving cinemagraphs (via )
- David duChemin on being more creative (via )
- The Daily Mail features the results of DEEP Indonesia (via )
- Windows adds raw support for 22 cameras (via )
- Apple updates its Digital Camera Raw compatibility to 4.06 (via )
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )
- Brunei institutes Asia’s first nationwide shark fin ban (via )