Interview: Joe Romeiro
Aditech updates its Sony housings
Aditech has released a new version of their Mangrove MVHS-L and MVHS-XL housings. This provides support for Sony camcorders that are equipped with the new Sony Multi connector. As with previous models, the rear of the housing is made of Delrin, and it features a control system using LANC control that gives access to all camcorder functions via 12 electromagnetic pushbuttons.
Ikelite announces D7100 housing
Ikelite has announced the imminent release of its housing for the Nikon D7100 camera. The polycarbonate housing gives access to all important camera functions, has an optically corrected glass viewfinder and built-in TTL exposure when used with Ikelite strobes. Ports are available for most popular lenses.
Canon announces two new pro camcorders
Canon has announced the release of two new pro camcorders. The XA25 and XA20 are designed to be ultra compact and offer the ability to record two different formats simultaneously onto two SD cards. The cameras have a wide-angle zoom lens with a close focus of 60cm (24”), a 2.91-megapixel 1/2.84-inch HD CMOS image sensor and DIGIC DV 4 image processor. The XA25 has a BNC fitting that outputs HD/SDI, and both cameras feature dual-band wireless support.
Video: Sharks of Bimini
Canon to develop 35mm Cinema Prime lens
In its pre-NAB press releases, Canon has announced that it plans to develop a 35mm Cinema Prime lens. The EF-mount lens will deliver 4K optical performance and will be designed to suit professional level applications. It is expected to start shipping later this year.
MantaWatch publishes manta interaction guidelines
MantaWatch has published a series of guidelines for responsible interactions with manta rays. The organization aims to use people’s images of the markings on mantas to identify specific individual animals and hence to record sightings of them over time. This information will be databased and used to extend knowledge of manta migration and habitat preferences.
Spaces available: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2013
We have a few spaces available for the Wetpixel Whale Sharks trips this year. These represent the ultimate opportunity to get up close and personal with amazing numbers of the largest fish in the sea. Trip members from previous years have encountered over 300 whale sharks per day! The trips are all based in a comfortable hotel in Isla Mujeres, Yucatan, Mexico and are suitable for divers and non-divers.
- Newsweek’s First Animated Cover Captured by Underwater… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- California Moves to Add Sharks to Endangered Species List (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces January Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- World’s largest captive croc dies (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: How Nikkor Lenses are Made (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sockeye Salmon Use Magnetic Field to Navigate Home (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark’s Immune System Inspires Cancer Research (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Apple RAW Updates Compatibility (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Cold-Water Volcanic Vent Discovered (via DivePhotoGuide)
- The Economics of Tuna (via DivePhotoGuide)