Study shows coral adapts to acidification
A team from the Woods Hole Institute has discovered a coral reef ecosystem that has adapted to very acidic water conditions in Nikko Bay, Palau. This gives hope that coral may be able to evolve to cope with effects of increasing acidification of the planet’s oceans. (Image from Shutterstock).
Image: Fish fireworks by Jennifer Penner
Happy New Year 2014
We hope that wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are not like this “grumpy” stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) and are enjoying the last day of 2013 or the first day of 2014. May your celebrations be joyous and we fervently hope that 2014 brings you safe diving and and amazing photographic opportunities.
Gates announces DEEP DRAGON
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the RED EPIC DRAGON digital cinema camera. The Gates DEEP DRAGON features a housing for the RED PRO external monitor and uses the REDMOTE remote control to give access to all camera controls. In addition, it can be supplied with integrated tripod legs, an extended monitor shade and a light bar to attach light arms.
Upgrade guide: Final Cut Pro 10.1
As announced and discussed on the Wetpixel forums, Apple released a long-awaited update to Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) just before Christmas. Version 10.1 is a free update for those that have already purchased the App, and is available via the App Store or via the Apple FCP support pages.
Guam’s Hidden Treasures book available
UW robot cameras disguised as sea creatures
Wildlife filmmaker John Downer has a new wildlife documentary series titled Dolphins: Spy in the Pod. The series not only promises never before filmed behavior, but also employs underwater robotic cameras disguised as sea creatures.
Happy holidays 2013
Wishing the Wetpixel community very happy, restful and enjoyable holidays. 2013 has been an amazing year for me and I feel incredibly fortunate to have met, dived and taken pictures with many of you. Our annual “Favorite Image of the Year” thread is in full swing on the forums right now, and represents an amazing gathering of talent and opportunity. If you haven’t added your own images yet, I would urge you to do so soon.
- Palau’s President proposes no commercial fishing in island’s… (via )
- Carl Safina writes about the politics of shark protection at… (via )
- Free Actual Pixels app allows viewing of images at 100% on iOS… (via )
- How pro photographers view pro SLRs (via )
- Nikon updates ViewNX to version 2.7.4 (via )
- Call on your CITES representative to stand by their votes to… (via )
- Wetpixel Associate editor, Alex Mustard, to speak at the London… (via )
- Issue 10 of Anima Mundi is now available to download (via )
- Who pays what? Tumblr feature on how photographers are paid. (via )
- CITES approves protection for hammerheads. (via )