New paper shows whale ears “float” in their heads
In a new paper published March 11, scientists illustrate how marine mammals adapted their hearing to the underwater environment by evolving their inner and middle ears. These parts of their ears actually “float” inside of their heads, separate from their skulls that vibrate from underwater sound waves. This allows the marine mammals to hear more clearly and isolate the direction sound is coming from.
Introducing USB Type C
Apple has announced that their new Macbook computers will be equipped with USB-C connections, ahead of what is expected to be universal adoption by the computer industry. Photo District News reports that the idea behind the new connection is that it will ultimately replace the current myriad of options into a single design.
Coral, Fire and Ice in Calgary
Dr. Eugenie Clark by Howard Rosenstein
Video: Wakatobi Part 3 by Earth Touch
Earth Touch has continued their video exploration of Wakatobi in this week’s Wild Oceans episode. The video features more reef inhabitants, filmed by Stewart Whitfield. Amongst the species are Clark’s anemonefish (Amphiprion clarkii), the longnose butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) and the elusive freckled hawkfish (Paracirrhites forsteri).
Join Wetpixel in Raja Ampat in 2016
Sailors for the Sea launches Ocean Watch magazine
March issue of X Ray Mag available
The March 2015 issue of X Ray Magazine is now available for download. In issue #65, there are articles about Tiger Beach San Salvador and the Shark Feeder Program, Bahamas. In addition diving in Iceland, Malpelo, Kyrgyzstan and cave diving in China are featured along with GoPro use underwater.
- National Wildlife 2013 photo contest open for entries (via )
- Photo of Caimans at night in Brazil (via )
- Canon showcases EOS 70D new AF capabilities (via )
- Issue 55 of X-Ray Mag is available to download (via )
- California shark fin ban takes effect this week (via )
- 200 year old fish caught off Alaska (via )
- Latest videos from the ICJ trial of Japanese commercial whaling (via )
- July/August issue (#73) of UWP Magazine is available now (via )
- Carl Zeiss rebrands as just ZEISS (via )
- DIVE magazine’s July issue is out now (via )