Join Wetpixel in Komodo in 2014
Wetpixel is running two trips to unexplored South Komodo aboard the luxury liveaboard, The Seven Seas, in early 2014. The southern sites of Komodo National Park offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, huge schools of fish, and fascinating macro life. Wetpixel trips specialize in making the most of these stunning opportunities for photographers.
Deadline extended: SDUFEX
The 2013 San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition has extended its deadline for entries to 29 July 2013.
Rehabilitated orca spotted with calf
Springer, the Orca that was rescued and rehabilitated off the coast of Seattle in 2002, has been spotted with a calf near Vancouver Island. The sighting comes eleven years after the orphaned calf was reunited with her pod.
Divers discover ancient underwater forest
Review: Fantasea FG15 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Fantasea FG15 housing for the Canon PowerShot G15 compact camera. This polycarbonate housing not only looks good, but also offers many features and refinements that are not on Canon’s housing for the camera.
British Underwater Photography Championship results announced
The British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP) has announced the results of the annual British Underwater Photography Championship. The “splash-in” was held this weekend at the Mount Batten Center, Plymouth, UK and attracted some 25 entrants and, for a change, good weather.
Blennwatcher Diary: July 2013
In the first edition of the Blennywatcher Diary, Ned and Anna DeLoach discuss their surprise at discovering three species of hairy blenny at Blue Heron Bridge and challenge the Wetpixel community to discover why the Molly Miller blenny (Scartella cristata) is named as such. It also touches on their recent finds in Raja Ampat and some surprises from a night dive in Ambon.
Richard Brooks: Perceptions
Wetpixel member Richard Brooks of Lightning Strike Productions has added his short film “Perceptions” to the Wetpixel forum. It features time-lapse footage shot in Jellyfish Lake in Palau over a year and “gives an insight into the migration and light seeking behavior of the golden jellyfish that live in this incredible environment.”
- Killer plants glow blue to lure prey (via BBC)
- Interview: Photographing Newsweek’s First Animated Cover (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Ikelite Announces Nikon D5200 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rare giant armadillo birth recorded (via BBC)
- Introducing Pure Apnea - a new freediving kid on the block (via African Diver)
- Rescued oil birds set to be released (via BBC)
- VIDEO: Dolphins surprise tourist boat (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater 2013 Coverage (via DivePhotoGuide)