Autofocus testing with Panasonic GH4
No Take Two by Pawel Achtel
Wildlife film maker and innovator Pawel Achtel has shared his thoughts about his recent experiences filming for this forthcoming 3D IMAX film, Sea of Love. He illustrates the dedication patience and background knowledge necessary to wait in the right place, at the right time to capture coral spawning. He then contrasts this to the hurly burly of capturing footage of the breeding fish aggregations in the wild currents of Palau.
Major report points to overfishing for Caribbean coral reef decline
A recent major report, Status and Trends of Caribbean Coral Reefs, from the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN), the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was published pointing to overfishing as the culprit of Caribbean coral reef decline. The report included data that spanned Caribbean coral reef data from over 40 years and was analyzed by 90 experts over the course of 3 years.
Video: Comb Jellyfish and Pleurobranchia by Frazier Nivens
Study shows that devil rays dive deep
Dr Simon Thorrold, an ocean ecologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and a team have published a paper in the journal Nature Communications showing the results from tagging 15 Chilean devil rays (Mobula tarapacana) with special satellite tags. The findings include the amazing fact that they dive to depths of up to 1,848m (6,063 ft). (Image from Shutterstock)
Karen Glaser’s Springs and Swamps Series
Photographer Karen Glaser has been photographing the springs and swamps of Florida for decades. Through artist-in-residencies award programs through organizations like Big Cypress National Preserve and the Everglades National Park, Glaser has gained access to endangered fresh water springs and swamps in southern Florida.
Reports from Aquarius: Mission 31 updates
Video: Lake Baikal by Alex Benedik
- Happy World Penguin Day! (via )
- Fstoppers publishes “Creating a Successful Photography… (via )
- Issue 54 of X-Ray Magazine is available to download (via )
- New Caledonia creates shark sanctuary (via )
- Canon EOS is the number one interchangeable lens seller worldwide (via )
- Apple updates raw compatibility (via )
- Brian Lam joins a shark tagging expedition (via )
- Rehab of the GOM ongoing almost 3 years post Deepwater Horizon (via )
- Evidence of Lionfish from New York to Venezuela (via )
- Offshore drilling ceased in Belize (via )