Canon develops 250 megapixel sensor
Canon has announced that it has developed a CMOS sensor with approximately 250 megapixels. This has been achieved by advanced circuit miniaturization and signal processing technology allowing the digital information to be moved from the sensor quickly. In fact, it will shoot video at 5fps. Canon see the sensors application in industry and security applications, although the press release also mentions “the field of visual expression.”
Sea&Sea announces the MDX-EM5 Mark II housing
Sea&Sea has announced their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II mirrorless camera. The MDX-EM5 Mark II housing can be used with the Olympus supplied FL-EM3 flash unit to provide fiber optic strobe triggering. It is compatible with the company’s magnifying viewfinders, and has three grip options.
Video: The Thin Blue Line
Winners of Scuba Diving’s Through Your Lens announced
Borneo from Below: Sea Snakes
X-Ray issue 68 available
X-Ray Mag issue 68 is now available to download. Florida’s Palm Beaches are featured in the September/October edition, along with articles about British Colombia, blue sharks and symbiosis. In the photo & video column, Rico Besserdich presents an article on how to compile a portfolio.
Nauticam releases housing for Arri Alexa Mini
Nauticam, in conjunction with Hydroflex, has produced a housing for the Arri Alexa Mini camera. It offers support for many cinema and SLR lenses and is supplied with a 250mm (10”) dome. The housing supports surface control and provides space to mount an Anton Bauer “Gold Mount” battery plate in the back door. This also allows access to the camera’s CFast card.
Panasonic announces GH4R and V-Log L firmware update
Panasonic has announced an updated version of their GH4 camera and a paid-for firmware update that will add some of its new features to existing GH4 cameras to the new specification. The GH4R offers unlimited cinema 4K recording, and V-Log L capability. The new firmware allows an additional 2 stops of dynamic range, improved compatibility with the output from Panasonic’s Varicam and similar characteristics to Cineon.
- New marine conservation zones for UK (via BBC)
- Video: Coral spawning on the Great Barrier Reef (via BBC)
- Hawaii’s Lake Waiau mysteriously disappearing (via )
- Tube worms fluorescence due to Vitamin B (via )
- Nick Mevoli: A freediver remembered (via )
- Newspaper removes all photos to support photographers (via )
- Amy Smart on cleaning up ocean plastic (via )
- Adobe Lightroom 5.3 and Camera RAW 8.3 release candidates… (via )
- Rare Right Whale spotted in Victoria BC (via )
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 75 available to download (via )