Gates releases housing for Canon ME20 low light camera
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the Canon ME20F-SH low light camera. It is integrated with the Transvision StarliteHD OLED monitor in the Gates Starlite ST5 housing. The system is designed to offer the ability to capture low light scenes using natural lighting underwater like coral spawning, natural bioluminescence and predator activity at night.
Quebec tourists are treated to an up close and personal fin whale encounter
A boat of whale watching tourists had an up close and personal encounter with a fin whale this past week in Quebec, Canada. The group of whale watchers were observing a pair of fin whales swimming parallel to their boat when one resurfaced, with mouth agape, right next to their boat, submerging at the last minute. The moment was captured in two different simultaneous videos.
WDC publishes guide to responsible whale and dolphin watching
Australian Great White Sharks by Don Silcock
Call for entries: Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship
The Florida Skin Divers Association is calling for entries to the Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship, the results of which will be announced at the 2016 Guy Harvey Lionfish Safari. The contest offers over $8,000 in prizes and entry categories for images from Florida waters including: Macro, wide angle, compact camera, video and lionfish removal video. The deadline for entries is 26 August.
Exposure labs is still seeking UW photographers to help with coral bleaching video
Underwater Photography Masterclass available in the U.S.A.
Paper describes shark concentration at Fakarava
A paper in the Current Biology Journal describes the “inverted trophic pyramid” that exists at the South Pass at Fakarava, French Polynesia. Between 250 to 700 grey reef sharks (Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos) inhabit the area thanks to the grouper spawning aggregations that occur in the pass.
- Massive number of By-The-Wind-Sailor jellies cover water surface (via )
- Apple updates FCPX, Compressor, Motion (via )
- DSTRUX brings control to sharing images online (via )
- Shark week is more dangerous than sharks (via )
- NG photo of the day by Mike Korostolev (via )
- World’s fastest camera shoots at 4.4 trillion frames per… (via )
- Australian humpback dolphin is world’s newest dolphin… (via )
- Baby whale saved from Australian shark net (via )
- Showing sharks in a positive light by George Probst (via )
- Apple expands OS X Mavericks raw support (via )