First images of new volcanic island formed off Tonga
In December of 2014 the Hunga Tonga volcano erupted off the coast of Tonga. It formed a new island approximately one mile long and twenty-eight miles northwest of Tonga’s capital. This past week some adventurous locals visited the new island and captured some images, against the warnings of experts.
Raja site invites photo submissions
Registration open for SNUPS 2015
Video: Tofua’a: Seeing Eye to Eye with Tonga’s Humpback Whales.
New paper shows whale ears “float” in their heads
In a new paper published March 11, scientists illustrate how marine mammals adapted their hearing to the underwater environment by evolving their inner and middle ears. These parts of their ears actually “float” inside of their heads, separate from their skulls that vibrate from underwater sound waves. This allows the marine mammals to hear more clearly and isolate the direction sound is coming from.
Introducing USB Type C
Apple has announced that their new Macbook computers will be equipped with USB-C connections, ahead of what is expected to be universal adoption by the computer industry. Photo District News reports that the idea behind the new connection is that it will ultimately replace the current myriad of options into a single design.
Coral, Fire and Ice in Calgary
Dr. Eugenie Clark by Howard Rosenstein
- EOS 70D preview and images (via )
- Hunting octopus on Scuba banned in Puget sound (via )
- Shark Week: Good or Bad for Sharks? (via )
- Fracking offshore and underwater now too? (via )
- Yes, it is Shark Week (via )
- Tips to become the ultimate travel photographer (via )
- How FB connects shark attack survivors that advocate for sharks (via )
- Blackmagic cinema camera price drop 1k (via )
- Arrests made in Turtle conservationist murder (via )
- August issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )