Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part two
Image: Dragging the Shutter by John Chandler
John Chandler posted this image on the Wetpixel Facebook group. It is perhaps a salutary reminder that good technique can often create images when ambient conditions make this difficult or impossible to do conventionally. John entitled the image “Dragging the Shutter” which is also how he managed to capture it.
Google+ improves its RAW conversion
Google+ has improved its RAW to JPEG conversion process. For about a year, it has been possible to upload image files, including RAW files, onto the Google+ servers to act as a backup. In order to view these files, they must be converted to JPEG. Google’s acquisition of Nik Photography has allowed them to fine-tune the conversion process with, what the company states, are improved results.
Video: Whale Fantasia
GoPro’s video of the day for 26 September featured free divers with mono fins, the voice of Alan Watts and humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). It was filmed in Tonga, and parts of the film were used by the company in the original promo video that accompanied the HERO3’s release.
Lightroom tutorials updated
Doug Sloss’s Lightroom for the Underwater Photographer has been updated to incorporate the changes and new features that have been released with Lightroom 5. The tutorials, which total 15 hours of instruction, now cover the use of both Lightroom 4 and 5 and are available as downloads, rather than on memory sticks as they were previously.
Nauticam introduces the NA-70D housing
Nauticam’s housing for the Canon EOS 70D will be shipping from 1 October. It features a new vacuum seal check and leak detection system as standard as well as many of the features that were introduced with the NA-6D, although the ISO control has now been moved onto a paddle lever on the side of the housing.
Tickets available for San Diego Underwater Film Festival
The San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition (SDUFEX) is being held on 11 and 12 October in the Qualcomm Hall, San Diego, California. 30 films will be shown and the event’s Masters of Ceremonies are Howard and Michelle Hall.
Underwater footage on Secret Life of Predators
For our U.S.A. based members: On 27 September at 10pm Easter Time, National Geographic channel will air an episode of its Secret Life of Predators series featuring some amazing underwater sequences. Entitled “Wet” it includes footage of hairy frogfish and mantis shrimp predation.
- CITES approves protection for hammerheads. (via )
- By a narrow margin, CITES votes to protect oceanic whitetip… (via BBC)
- Viewfactor announces the Novo re-housed Go Pro HERO3 for… (via )
- Polar bear protection proposal rejected at CITES (via BBC)
- Panasonic announces updates for its GH3 camera and 4-42, 45-175… (via )
- The Nikon Coolpix A: Why it is way more important than you think (via )
- Issue 26 of African Diver magazine is now available to download (via African Diver)
- A great photographic account of the operations at NASA’s neutral… (via )
- Canon has developed a high-sensitivity low noise full-frame CMOS… (via )
- Think Tank releases new battery and Compact Flash card pouches. (via )