Video: Lionfish stalks and kills prey
Video: The Guardians of Raja Ampat
The “Guardians of Raja Ampat” is a film produced for The Ocean Voice by Wetpixel Moderator Shawn Heinrichs and John Weller to show the local communities of the area the amazing biological riches of the area they live in. It has toured the remote areas of the region and has been shown to over 10,000 people, in conjunction with a concert.
Wetpixel/Mustard Macro Workshop 2016
Cyclone Pam devastates Vanuatu
Tropical cyclone Pam has made landfall on the South Pacific island of Vanuatu and is causing significant damage, with the BBC reporting that dozens have died in the storm. Obviously, many members of the Wetpixel community are affected by this, and many more have visited and dived on the islands. For those directly affected by this, we hope that you are safe and that the damage to your property and businesses is limited. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. For those of us watching the events unfold at a distance, if you can contribute to the relief effort in any way, please do so.
GoAskErin tutorials: The Master List
Underwater photographer and post processing guru, Erin Quigley has posted a page on her blog giving the links to all her current GoAskErin Photoshop and Lightroom tutorials. These include “classics” like her backscatter removal and puppet warp tutorials as well how to use Lightrooms radial and graduated filter tools to “reposition” your strobes and using the adjustment brush to paint in exposure, clarity and contrast.
Two marine sanctuaries more than doubled in size
Two marine sanctuaries off the coast of northern California, The Gulf of the Farallones and Cordell Bank, will more than double in size after the Obama administration approved their expansion on March 12th.
First images of new volcanic island formed off Tonga
In December of 2014 the Hunga Tonga volcano erupted off the coast of Tonga. It formed a new island approximately one mile long and twenty-eight miles northwest of Tonga’s capital. This past week some adventurous locals visited the new island and captured some images, against the warnings of experts.
Raja site invites photo submissions
- Stolen photo wins photo contest (via )
- First underwater video of apes swimming (via )
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )