A freediving underwater video with a dog
Backscatter launches Macromate Mini
Backscatter has announced the release of their Macromate Mini Underwater Macro lens for the GoPro HEROS 3 and 3+. Constructed of aluminium, the lens can be attached to the company’s Flip 3.1 bracket when attached via a 55mm threaded adaptor. The Macromate Mini reduced the GoPro’s minimum focus distance to around 3” (75mm).
Call for entries: World Shootout 2014
The World Shootout 2014 is calling for entries. The contest has numerous categories including: Dive Destination - 5 Best Images, Wide Angle, Macro & Super-Macro, Amateurs Sharks, Wrecks of the World and Children of World ShootOut. The requirements for entry are that the image(s) must have been taken between 1 January and 31 July 2014.
Sports Illustrated underwater portraits of athletes
Sports Illustrated has compiled a series of underwater athlete portraits that have graced the pages of the magazine. The images include everything from swimmers to baseball players, as well as one free diving portrait.
2014 DEEP Indonesia Photo Competition Winners Announced
DPG and Wetpixel are proud to announce the winners of the 2014 DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photography Competition. The competition is part of a unique series of underwater imaging events and has become one of the biggest and most prestigious in the world. This year the competition received thousands of entries from underwater photographers in over 15 countries. Congratulations to Bert Willaert, who won Best of Show for his 1st place image from the Compact Camera category.
Seacam announces their academy
ICJ rules in favour of whales
The BBC reports that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s annual Southern Ocean whale hunt is primarily a commercial undertaking, rather than a scientific one. In addition, the ICJ has ordered a temporary halt to the whaling program. (Image credit to wdeon / Shutterstock.com)
Behind the Shot: Seek by Nina Baxa
Nina Baxa has shared a stunning shot of a Spotted Eagle Ray on Wetpixel’s Facebook page. The image was very popular on Facebook. Here she shares how she got the shot.
- Another photo of a two headed shark surfaces (via )
- Nikon hack removes video time limit from D3100, D3200, D5100 and… (via )
- Alex Mustard to speak at 2020Vision Theatre Show, Derby, UK on… (via )
- Avatar sequels to feature “underwater motion… (via )
- RED details Scarlet upgrade and trade-in packages (via )
- Manatee death rate at all time high due to toxic bloom (via )
- Sony expands XAVC format for pro and consumer use (via )
- Panasonic releases the DMC-GF6 mirrorless camera (via )
- RED performs live Dragon sensor upgrades at NAB (via )
- Redrock unveils its Cobalt cage for the GoPro HERO3 (via )