Panasonic announces the LUMIX GX8
Panasonic has announced the release of their LUMIX DMC-GX8 mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features a 20.3MP sensor with a new version of the Venus processing engine giving an ISO range of 100 up to 25600. It has 6 axis body and lens optical stabilization, and can shoot 4K video at 24/25p and 100Mbps.
Survey: Shark tourism in the Bahamas
The Cape Eleuthera Institute is investigating the economic impact that shark diving charters have on the Bahamian economy. To gauge this, they have added a short online survey for people who have either been to the Bahamas, or are planning to do so. Adding your input to this will take no more than a few minutes, and may help more sharks in the Bahamas receive protection.
Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin photographed underwater for ESPN
Recsea ships housings for Sony AX series 4K camcorders
Recsea has announced two new housings for the Sony AX series 4K camcorders. One version has a window that allows the AX30/AX33/AXP33/AXP35’s LCD screens to be used, whereas the other (for AX33/AXP33/AXP35 only) uses the camera’s viewfinder for framing. Both versions are available now.
Call for entries: Out of the Blue
The Out of the Blue Marine Photography competition, run by The Prince of Wales’s International Sustainability Unit and the Royal Commonwealth Society is calling for entries. The purpose of the contest is to showcase the importance of our marine environment, the value it brings and the threats it is facing. The contest is open for entries now and closes on Sunday 6 September.
Call for entries: Monterey Shootout 2015
The Northern California Underwater Photographic Society is calling for entries to the 2015 Monterey Shootout. The event is being held from 7 to 9 August and registration is now only $25. This entry fee grants entry into the competition as well as its associated cocktail party and seminars.
Video: Turtle chases divers
Kenko offers new teleconverters for Canon EF lenses
- Seahorse shape aids stealth hunting techniques (via BBC)
- Protecting underwater real estate for fish (via )
- NOAA and state shark fin bans (via )
- New marine conservation zones for UK (via BBC)
- Video: Coral spawning on the Great Barrier Reef (via BBC)
- Hawaii’s Lake Waiau mysteriously disappearing (via )
- Tube worms fluorescence due to Vitamin B (via )
- Nick Mevoli: A freediver remembered (via )
- Newspaper removes all photos to support photographers (via )
- Amy Smart on cleaning up ocean plastic (via )