Video: Rare oarfish filmed in Baja, Mexico
On a Shedd Aquarium trip to Baja, Mexico last month two rare 15-foot oarfish (Regalecus glesne) were filmed swimming in the shallows. Oarfish are deepwater fish and rarely venture close to shore.
Sony announces α7S mirrorless camera
Earlier in the week, Sony announced the release of their α7S mirrorless camera. This features a 12.2 megapixel full frame sensor with a claimed ISO range of 50 – 4096002 with “low noise”. In addition,it offers 4K video to an external recording device, with information being taken from the whole sensor width. Autofocus is the same as that of the α7R.
Gates trails new TVL55 monitor housing
Gates Underwater Products has released details of their forthcoming TVL55 housing for the TV Logic VFM-058W field monitor. The monitor gives numerous pro options including false color, vectorscope and waveform exposure monitoring as well as peaking and magnify focus tools. The housing form-fits the monitor and is constructed of aluminum and stainless steel.
Video: A Tale of Two Atolls by Thomas Peschak
National Geographic photographer and marine biologist, Thomas Peschak, has shared some imagery and video captured while he traveled to the remote atolls of Bassas de India and Europa, halfway between Mozambique and Madagascar.
Ikelite releases D3300 housing
Ikelite has announced that they are shipping their housing for the Nikon D3300 SLR. The housing features Ikelite’s trademark polycarbonate construction and TTL strobe triggering. The latter features strobe output adjustment on the back of the housing. It is supplied with zoom rings and a tray with dual handles.
Blennywatcher Diary: Dominica
Ned and Anna DeLoach present their latest instalment of the Blennywatcher Diary. They recently revisited the Caribbean island of Dominica, after an absence of some 3 years. During the trip, their group surveyed 216 species including our group discovered Shortnose Batfish, Flying Gurnards, Snake Eels, Yellowface Pikeblennies, Red Banner Blennies, Mutton Hamlets and Orangespotted Gobies.
Adobe releases Lightroom Mobile
Adobe has announced its long awaited Lightroom mobile app. Available as a part of its Creative Cloud, Lightroom Mobile allows the user to sync non-destructive changes done to smart previews on an iPad, back to the original images on a desktop.
Ze Frank’s True Facts about the Octopus
- Puerto Rico protects leatherback turtle nesting sites (via BBC)
- Maryland set to ban shark fin trade (via )
- Lion Air flight misses runway in Denpasar, Bali - no life… (via )
- Australia takes Japan to international court over whaling (via BBC)
- Philippines charges Chinese fishermen over reef crash (via BBC)
- Another photo of a two headed shark surfaces (via )
- Nikon hack removes video time limit from D3100, D3200, D5100 and… (via )
- Alex Mustard to speak at 2020Vision Theatre Show, Derby, UK on… (via )
- Avatar sequels to feature “underwater motion… (via )
- RED details Scarlet upgrade and trade-in packages (via )