Canon updates Digital Photo Professional
Apple to stop development of Aperture
Apple has announced that with the release of its new OS later this summer, it will discontinue development of its photo editing app Aperture. It will be replaced in the new OS by an app called Photos, which will also enlace iPhoto. Apple have stated that there will be a migration path for Aperture users to Photos, although as the later seems to be largely cloud based, this may be challenge for those with big libraries.
Actor Adrian Grenier visits Mission 31 Aquarius habitat
Actor and Filmmaker, Adrian Grenier scuba dives and visits Aquarius Reef Base during Fabien Cousteau’s Mission 31. In addition to his acting and filmmaking career, Adrian is an ocean advocate and regularly contributes to causes and organizations supporting the world’s oceans.
Seawalls: Murals for Oceans by PangeaSeed
PangeaSeed, an international nonprofit that aims to connect people to the ocean through art, is sending several well known street artists to Isla Mujeres this summer for the annual whale shark aggregation to swim with sharks and then create an inspiring mural as part of its Sea Walls project.
Nikon announces the D810 SLR
Nikon has announced the D810 SLR. The camera features a new 36.3 megapixel FX-format (7360 x 4912 resolution) CMOS sensor, AF via the Multi-Cam 3500-FX AF sensor module and the EXPEED 4 image processing engine. These means that, compared with the D800, the camera has improved ISO performance, faster and more accurate AF and a faster frame rate.
New paper on “Disco Clams”
Lecture: Eric Cheng and Hidden Ocean Worlds
Wetpixel Publisher Eric Cheng delivered a lecture entitled “Hidden Ocean Worlds” to the CreativeMornings community, Los Angeles on March 28, 2014. CreativeMornings “is a breakfast lecture series for the creative community.” In his lecture, Eric talks about “sharks, jellies, and tiny, bizarre critters.”
Final call: NCUPS contests 2014
The Northern California Underwater Photographic Society (NCUPS) is making a final call for entries to the SEA International Underwater Photo and Video Competition and the Bob Commer Award of Excellence in Underwater Photography. The deadline for entries is 30 June.
- Lundy Island, UK hosts splash-in photographic contest (via )
- NHK and Mitsubishi develop H.265 encoder for 8K video (via )
- Tony Wu’s blog on capturing the red snapper spawning… (via )
- Spring issue of Alert Diver available now (via )
- Tony Wu’s sea lion shots are cute overload (via )
- U.S. to protect endangered Loggerhead habitat (via )
- 20 Florida manatees want you to adopt them (via )
- Florida legislature fails to protect manatees (via )
- Lowepro announces new outdoor photographer sport backpack (via )
- Maryland shark fin ban to be signed into law thursday (via )