Winners of University of Miami underwater photo contest announced
The winners of this year’s University of Miami Underwater Photography contest have been announced. Congratulations to all the winners!
Seacam reinvents the Nikonos RS 13mm
At the recent ADEX show, Seacam owner Harald Hordosch was displaying a converted Nikonos RS 13mm lens on his stand. The company is re-housing the lens and using the original glass as a lens port.
Video: Darren Jew, underwater photographer and Canon master
Show coverage: ADEX 2014
ADEX is Asia’s largest underwater and diving exhibition. Located in the Marina Bay Sands Expo center, Singapore, the show attracts attendees and exhibitors from all over Asia. As is frequently the case, underwater imaging is well represented at the show with stands from major brands as well as local retailers. Wetpixel is on site and posting “live” coverage.
Video: Anchovy fireworks underwater
In this clip from the MacGillivray Freeman IMAX film Journey to the South Pacific, the filmmakers capture an impressive underwater show by a school of anchovy.
Wetpixel @ ADEX 2014
The annual Asian Dive Exhibition (ADEX) kicks off on Friday 11 April at the iconic Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. ADEX has a reputation for being the Far East’s major annual dive show and hence, Wetpixel will be there reporting on the products and events on display in our usual “live” way. Please keep checking back here for updates. In addition, Wetpixel and Scubacam are hosting the ADEX imaging party, which is being held at ME@OUE on the evening of the first day. If you are in Singapore, please come along, say hi and have a drink with us!
Video: Rare oarfish filmed in Baja, Mexico
On a Shedd Aquarium trip to Baja, Mexico last month two rare 15-foot oarfish (Regalecus glesne) were filmed swimming in the shallows. Oarfish are deepwater fish and rarely venture close to shore.
Sony announces α7S mirrorless camera
Earlier in the week, Sony announced the release of their α7S mirrorless camera. This features a 12.2 megapixel full frame sensor with a claimed ISO range of 50 – 4096002 with “low noise”. In addition,it offers 4K video to an external recording device, with information being taken from the whole sensor width. Autofocus is the same as that of the α7R.
- Brian Lam joins a shark tagging expedition (via )
- Rehab of the GOM ongoing almost 3 years post Deepwater Horizon (via )
- Evidence of Lionfish from New York to Venezuela (via )
- Offshore drilling ceased in Belize (via )
- The top 5 new features in the Lightroom 5 beta (via )
- Review: GoPro HERO3 black on HD Magazine (via )
- Puerto Rico protects leatherback turtle nesting sites (via BBC)
- Maryland set to ban shark fin trade (via )
- Lion Air flight misses runway in Denpasar, Bali - no life… (via )
- Australia takes Japan to international court over whaling (via BBC)