Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide party at DEMA 2016
Join Wetpixel and DivePhotoGuide for our annual DEMA underwater imaging party. It will be held on Thursday 17 November on the rooftop of the Westgate Hotel. As always, it is likely to be busy event and it has a well deserved reputation for being the best DEMA party!
Whale shark encounter database helps scientists track largest fish
A whale shark database, known as Wildbook for Whale Sharks, is helping scientists track and study the largest fish in the sea. Marine biologist Brad Norman developed the online database as a way to recruit the help of schoolchildren, divers, fisherman, and tourists to learn more about the mysterious fish. Through more than 36,000 encounters posted to the database, 7,000 whale sharks have been tracked around the world.
Field Review: Nauticam NA-D500 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a field review of the Nauticam NA-D500 housing. He was able to use the housing for over a month during the Wetpixel Raja Ampat Expedition and Wetpixel/Alex Mustard Macro Workshop in Indonesia as well as subsequently in the UK.
Aquatica ships AD5 housing for Nikon D5
Nikon announces the D5600 SLR camera
Nikon has announced the D5600 SLR camera. It is an entry level model, featuring a DX 24.4MP sensor with a native ISO range of 100 to 25600. It does not have a built in lens focusing motor so lens choices for underwater use are unfortunately limited.
GoPro recalls all Karma drones
Fantasea announces RX100 Mark V compatibility
Fantasea has announced that its existing polycarbonate FRX100 IV housing is fully compatible with the new Sony RX100 V camera. Housing features include access to all “essential” camera controls, an integrated electronic leak detector and an M67 port adaptor to allow the use of accessory wet lenses.
New app helps find airport wifi
As underwater image makers, we tend to spend more than our fair share of our lives marooned in transit. Often, part of this is spent trying to be productive by getting online. A new app, WiFox created by travel blogger Anil Polat provides a crowd sourced list of free wifi networks in airports worldwide to assist with this.
- Sea lion attacks scuba diver (via )
- Napolean Wrasse by Christian Miller NG photo of the day (via )
- Kickstarter funded Pronto charges camera batteries 12x faster (via )
- Delkin debuts most rugged SD cards that are virtually… (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and View NX (via )
- New lithium batteries have lifespan of over 20 years (via )
- Humboldt squid attack Greenpeace submarine (via )
- Daniel Botelho captures splits shots of planes and snorkelers (via )
- Oceana finds rich biodiversity around Canary Islands (via )
- Panasonic patents optical viewfinder for mirrorless cameras that… (via )