Guam’s Hidden Treasures book available
UW robot cameras disguised as sea creatures
Wildlife filmmaker John Downer has a new wildlife documentary series titled Dolphins: Spy in the Pod. The series not only promises never before filmed behavior, but also employs underwater robotic cameras disguised as sea creatures.
Happy holidays 2013
Wishing the Wetpixel community very happy, restful and enjoyable holidays. 2013 has been an amazing year for me and I feel incredibly fortunate to have met, dived and taken pictures with many of you. Our annual “Favorite Image of the Year” thread is in full swing on the forums right now, and represents an amazing gathering of talent and opportunity. If you haven’t added your own images yet, I would urge you to do so soon.
Nauticam housing for BM Pocket Cinema Camera
Nauticam has released further details of their housing for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. The camera offers 1080p recording in a CinemaDNG RAW format with 13 stops of exposure range. The NA-BMPCC housing has handles with a 15° tilt, and controls easily accessible from them. In addition, new port is available offering manual focus on the 7-14mm and 12-35mm lenses, and an optional additional battery pack can also be supplied.
One year anniversary of California Marine Parks
Nauticam ships housing for Canon G16
Nauticam are now shipping their housing for the Canon PowerShot G16 compact camera. The NA-G16 offers access to both front and rear control dials on the camera, a 67mm thread on its port for wet lens mounting, fiber optic bulkheads for strobe triggering and a single 16mm threaded port for attaching an accessory vacuum system or electronic strobe triggering bulkhead.
Spaces available: Douglas Seifert’s Jetties of South Australia trip
In January, DIVE Magazine’s World Editor and Wetpixel Supporter, Douglas Seifert is running a special once-in-a-lifetime expedition to photograph the magnificent macro sea life of the Jetties of South Australia. He has just let us know that a few spots have opened up due to very last minute cancellations, so they are up for grabs immediately.
Results: Ocean Art contest 2013
The results of the 2013 Ocean Art Underwater Photo Contest have been announced. Entries were received from over 50 countries. Best of Show and winner of the Cold Water category was Viktor Lyagushkin’s image of ice diving with the subject lit with an off-camera strobe. Congratulations to all the winners and especially to the many Wetpixel members in the placings.
- UK government dilutes marine protection due to cash shortage (via BBC)
- Amazing gyro-stabilized 4K aerial footage from Teton Gravity (via )
- DIVE Magazine releases its free April digital issue (via )
- Underwater photography ban in Sipadan not confirmed yet (via )
- Indonesian government plans shark and manta fishing ban (via )
- Study shows stingrays learn from their peers (via )
- Firmware updates: Panasonic has released firmware version v.1.1… (via )
- Phil Bloom reviews the Backmagic Cinema MFT camera (via )
- Call for entries: San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition 2013 (via )
- Hugyfot releases new housings for Nikon D600 and Sony Action Cam (via )