Stunning video imagery from Freshwaters Illustrated.
Freshwaters Illustrated seek to raise aquatic awareness through photo, video and film. They are currently seeking funding on Indiegogo for a project called ‘Hidden Rivers” which includes a media package and a full-length documentary. As a part of their fundraising, they have released a show reel of stunning footage captured in the Southern Appalachian rivers.
Pistol shrimp captured at 10,000 fps
Published on the Earth Unplugged YouTube Channel, the team from BBC Earth Productions has captured the action of a pistol shrimp’s claw at 10,000 frames per second to give a unique view of it in extreme slow motion. The shrimp stuns its prey by “snapping” the claw, which creates cavitation and an air bubble that then produces a shock wave.
Final call: Wetpixel whale sharks 2013
We have the last few spaces available for the Wetpixel Whale Sharks trips this year. These represent the ultimate opportunity to get up close and personal with amazing numbers of the largest fish in the sea. Trip members from previous years have encountered over 300 whale sharks per day!
New species of goby discovered
Greenpeace showcases the biological diversity of Raja Ampat
Greenpeace has featured a gallery of pictures by Paul Hilton showcasing the biological diversity of Raja Ampat, Indonesia. The organization published the images to celebrate the International Day for Biological Diversity. (Image is © Paul Hilton / Greenpeace)
Death by ctenophore on BlennyWatcher
Ned and Anna DeLoach of BlennyWatcher have been studying the feeding habits on benthic ctenophores during their recent trip to Indonesia. These creatures, related to comb jellies, were thought to be plankton feeders, but have now been shown to be active and voracious predators, feeding on crabs, fish and even tube worms. (Images by Ned DeLoach/BlennyWatcher.com).
Book: The Eye of the Whale
Author and illustrator Jennifer O’Connell has produced an illustrated book entitled The Eye of the Whale that tells the story of the remarkable rescue of a humpback whale entangled in line, as well as the whale’s remarkable and profound connection that it shared with its rescuers.
Red Giant launches beta of BulletProof
- Endangered sharks return ‘home’ (via BBC)
- Sony Announces NEX-3N Mirrorless Camera (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Firmware update available for Olympus OM-D E-M5 (via )
- Eric Cheng speaks on “From Coral Reefs to the Light Field:… (via )
- Arabia’s extraordinary wildlife (via BBC)
- Seabirds Rescued from Dumped Oil Additive (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Lost Antarctic penguin found in NZ (via BBC)
- Protection of the wreck of the SAS Pietermaritzburg (via African Diver)
- The failing South African Fisheries Department (via African Diver)
- Canal fish removed for lock repairs (via BBC)