Death by ctenophore on BlennyWatcher
Ned and Anna DeLoach of BlennyWatcher have been studying the feeding habits on benthic ctenophores during their recent trip to Indonesia. These creatures, related to comb jellies, were thought to be plankton feeders, but have now been shown to be active and voracious predators, feeding on crabs, fish and even tube worms. (Images by Ned DeLoach/BlennyWatcher.com).
Book: The Eye of the Whale
Author and illustrator Jennifer O’Connell has produced an illustrated book entitled The Eye of the Whale that tells the story of the remarkable rescue of a humpback whale entangled in line, as well as the whale’s remarkable and profound connection that it shared with its rescuers.
Red Giant launches beta of BulletProof
NG cover shot of James Cameron taken in a tank
When the June issue of National Geographic hits newsstands in a few days, readers will have a deeper view of James Cameron. At first glance the cover shot appears to be a standard underwater portrait. But the “Behind the Cover” story sheds some light on how it was captured.
How to print a life size photograph of a whale
Agony in a bowl: Amazing claymation video
13-year old Kyle Kelleher has produced a short claymation video to help bring awareness about the controversial delicacy of shark fin soup.
Flickr: “No such thing as professional photographers anymore”
Whilst announcing a redesign of Flickr, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer claimed that the company wants “to make Flickr awesome again”. She went on to say that: “There’s no such thing as Flickr Pro today because [with so many people taking photographs] there’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore,” although she acknowledged that there are photographers with “different skill levels”.
Google takes street view for a dive
TechCrunch has published an article about Google’s ongoing project to add “Street View” style imagery from the underwater realm. Google’s recent I/O conference included a presentation from the Catlin Seaview Survey team, and details have been made public of how the team’s imaging scooters create the underwater mapping.
- Firmware update available for Olympus OM-D E-M5 (via )
- Eric Cheng speaks on “From Coral Reefs to the Light Field:… (via )
- Arabia’s extraordinary wildlife (via BBC)
- Seabirds Rescued from Dumped Oil Additive (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Lost Antarctic penguin found in NZ (via BBC)
- Protection of the wreck of the SAS Pietermaritzburg (via African Diver)
- The failing South African Fisheries Department (via African Diver)
- Canal fish removed for lock repairs (via BBC)
- Video: Ikelite Spring Product Preview (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Photographer Stephen Frink Named “Diver of the Year” (via DivePhotoGuide)