Do you know your warty from your hairy?
Fiji hit by tropical storm
The islands of Fiji were struck by a record breaking storm on Saturday night. Winds reached 184 mph (296 kph) and have brought with them heavy rains and huge seas. The storm, named Winston, has left a trail of destruction throughout the islands and has killed at least 10 people. We fervently hope that the death toll does not rise further and that our many friends in Fiji have escaped the worst of the destruction. Our community’s thoughts and prayers are with you. (Photo - Fijian Government).
Palau combats illegal fishing through satellites
Palau is leading the world by example in the effort to combat illegal fishing in its waters. In a recent and riveting article, the New York Times dove into the challenges faced by the island nation in upholding the protections put in place to conserve ocean wildlife. Palau is embracing the use of satellites to track illegal fishing vessels, from extremely remote locations.
Deadline approaching: DEEP Indonesia 2016
The deadline for entries to the 2016 DEEP Indonesia contest is fast approaching. This competition is the other half of the renowned Underwater Competition Series, which is offering a total of more than $100,000 in prizes this year. The deadline for the competition is Thursday, 25 February.
Introducing the Canon G7 X Mark II
Canon announces EOS 80D
Zena Holloway’s latest images for the Birmingham Royal Ballet
The latest project of renowned underwater photographer Zena Holloway features the dancers of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, underwater. The images are part of a promotion for the ballet’s latest production, the Tempest.
Borneo from Below: Episode 27
The latest online episode of Borneo from Below features underwater photographer Jason Isley and his Small Blue World. Bertie spends time interviewing Jason as well as diving and following the process behind the project
- Adobe releases Camera Raw 8.5 RC (via )
- Anima Mundi issue 15 is available to download (via )
- Olympus updates E-M1 firmware to v.1.4 and E-M10 to v.1.1 (via )
- Dumbo octopus footage capture by NOAA Okeanos (via )
- Nikon demonstrates new lens coating (via )
- Interview with a National Geographic photo editor (via )
- Has Columbus’ Santa Maria been discovered? (via )
- Komo News 2014 UW photo contest winners (via )
- Project to replace scuba tanks with solid air wins prize (via )
- 103-year old orca spotted in wild (via )