Peter Scoones: 1937 - 2014
Underwater cameraman and innovator, Peter Scoones, passed away earlier this week. Colin Doeg, who co founded BSoUP with Peter in 1967, has graciously written a tribute to him, which we publish in full. Our thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.
When the ocean gets loud, fish get louder
A study published this month in Behavioral Ecology illustrates how fish (blacktail shiners) adapt to the acoustic noise in their environments by increasing the volume of the noises they make.
Lytro announces the Illum camera
Video: EunJae Im on Southern Atolls of the Maldives
Wetpixel member EunJae Im (escape on the forum) has posted a stunning short film about the marine life of the Southern atolls of the Maldives.
Video: Mark Erdman on species diversity
Dr Mark Erdmann is a coral reef ecologist and senior advisor for Conservation International-Indonesia’s marine program. During ADEX 2014, Mark presented a talk about the richness of the South East Asian marine environment entitled, “Extreme biodiversity: In search of Indonesia’s marine biodiversity epicentre.”
Winners of University of Miami underwater photo contest announced
The winners of this year’s University of Miami Underwater Photography contest have been announced. Congratulations to all the winners!
Seacam reinvents the Nikonos RS 13mm
At the recent ADEX show, Seacam owner Harald Hordosch was displaying a converted Nikonos RS 13mm lens on his stand. The company is re-housing the lens and using the original glass as a lens port.
Video: Darren Jew, underwater photographer and Canon master
- Florida legislature fails to protect manatees (via )
- Lowepro announces new outdoor photographer sport backpack (via )
- Maryland shark fin ban to be signed into law thursday (via )
- Adobe demos Lightroom for iPad (via )
- UwP magazine issue 72 is now available to download (via )
- DPReview publishes an in-depth review of the Nikon D7100 (via )
- Adobe offers $30 discount off Lightroom 4, Photoshop Elements… (via )
- DIVE magazine May issue now available (via )
- Over 3,000 jellyfish on display in China (via BBC)
- Citizen scientists catalog North Sea life (via BBC)