RIP Lotte Hass
Pioneer of diving and underwater imaging, Lotte Hass, passed away on 14 January. Lotte overcame many stereotypes to become a very early underwater image maker, and was instrumental in bringing images of the underwater world to a worldwide audience in the 1950’s. Our thoughts and condolences go out to her family and friends.
BSoUP announces the British and Irish Underwater Photography Championship
The British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP) has launched the British and Irish Underwater Championship. Any image taken underwater between 10am and 10pm on 4 September 2105 within the UK and Ireland is eligible for entry.
Light & Motion launches Go Pro Sidekick on Kickstarter
Adobe releases Lightroom for Android
Adobe has announced that its Lightroom Mobile app is now available for Android devices. Included as a part of the Creative Cloud, the app allows the user to sync edits, metadata and collections between a mobile device and a Mac or Windows computer. It can also automatically import device images into a Lightroom catalog.
Call for entries: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015
Sony announces 4K camcorder
Sony has released a new Handycam that will record 4K footage at 100Mbps in an XAVC format at 25p. The FDR-AXP33 has built-in image stabilization and an “enhanced high-performance electronic viewfinder”. It has a manual control ring and a button that can be assigned to zoom, focus or exposure.
Underwater robot takes cues from cuttlefish
Students from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich have designed and built an underwater robot that mimics movements of cuttlefish to propel it virtually silently underwater.
Nikon issues service advisory for D750
Nikon has announced a service advisory for the flare issue that is occurring with the D750. The problem is identified: “when photographing scenes in which an extremely bright light source, such as the sun or high-intensity lighting, is positioned near the top edge of the frame, flare with an unnatural shape sometimes occurs in images.”
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )
- EOS 70D preview and images (via )
- Hunting octopus on Scuba banned in Puget sound (via )