Video: Whale Fantasia
GoPro’s video of the day for 26 September featured free divers with mono fins, the voice of Alan Watts and humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). It was filmed in Tonga, and parts of the film were used by the company in the original promo video that accompanied the HERO3’s release.
Lightroom tutorials updated
Doug Sloss’s Lightroom for the Underwater Photographer has been updated to incorporate the changes and new features that have been released with Lightroom 5. The tutorials, which total 15 hours of instruction, now cover the use of both Lightroom 4 and 5 and are available as downloads, rather than on memory sticks as they were previously.
Nauticam introduces the NA-70D housing
Nauticam’s housing for the Canon EOS 70D will be shipping from 1 October. It features a new vacuum seal check and leak detection system as standard as well as many of the features that were introduced with the NA-6D, although the ISO control has now been moved onto a paddle lever on the side of the housing.
Tickets available for San Diego Underwater Film Festival
The San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition (SDUFEX) is being held on 11 and 12 October in the Qualcomm Hall, San Diego, California. 30 films will be shown and the event’s Masters of Ceremonies are Howard and Michelle Hall.
Underwater footage on Secret Life of Predators
For our U.S.A. based members: On 27 September at 10pm Easter Time, National Geographic channel will air an episode of its Secret Life of Predators series featuring some amazing underwater sequences. Entitled “Wet” it includes footage of hairy frogfish and mantis shrimp predation.
Documentary: Giants in the Wild
Patrick Masse has produced a short documentary about his recent a trip to Tonga in order to film humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae).
Results: SoCal Shootout
The full results of the SoCal Shootout held over 13-15 September have been announced. Best of Show first prize in the Animal Behavior category was awarded to 18-year-old Nirupam Nigam with his image of a sarcastic fringehead (Neoclinus blanchardi) “admiring” its reflection in his dome port. Congratulations to all the winners and, as ever, it is great to see so many Wetpixel members among the placings.
Oceanic black holes exist
In a new study, scientists say black holes are out there, just a lot closer than we originally thought, and much wetter.
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )
- NCUPS’s SEA underwater photo and video competition is accepting… (via )
- In the forum: Dive the World Magazine closes down (via )
- The 2013 BSoUP Splash in to be held on 6 July in Plymouth, UK. (via )
- Sony releases firmware v1.10 for F5, F55 and AXA-R5 cameras.… (via )