That teen who rode a whale shark
Underwater imagery on display at the UN
Wetpixel sister site, DivePhotoGuide, in conjunction with Swiss watch company Blancpain, has created a display of underwater imagery in the United Nations Visitor Center in New York City. The exhibit highlights World Oceans Day and includes images captured many noted photographers, and features ocean ecosystems from around the globe.
Adobe updates its Creative Cloud
Amidst the furore regarding its change to a subscription based model for most of its software, Adobe has released the new Creative Cloud (CC) versions of its apps. These include Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC and After Effects CC amongst others. Key improvements include new sharpening technology in Photoshop and the Lumetri Deep Color Engine in Premiere.
Sea & Sea announces the MDX D7100
Sea & Sea has announced that their MDX-D7100 housing for the Nikon D7100 SLR will be available from the end of June. The new housing features the option of a built-in YS TTL convertor and a multi selector control that mimics both the function and position of the camera’s. It also has an externally controlled port lock and a leak detector as standard.
New study estimates manta ray tourism at $140 million
A study published in the Public Library of Science (PLOS) ONE journal has quantified the revenue that is accrued from tourism related activities associated with manta rays. In the 23 countries in which manta ray watching operations met the study’s criteria, direct revenue to dive operators from manta ray dives and snorkels is estimated at over US$73 million annually and direct economic impact, including associated tourism expenditures, at US$140 million annually.
Deepwater shark spawning ground discovered off Scotland
Scientists from Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University have recently discovered a deepwater shark spawning ground off the waters of Scotland. Egg cases of the blackmouth catshark (Galeus melastomus) were discovered on the Mingulay Reef, the only known coral reef in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
Aaron Schmidt: The basics of surf photography
New study into breath hold physiology
- Background information on the “Save Vetch’s”… (via African Diver)
- Behind the Shot: Jawin’ Jawfish (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Flexible, Transparent Sensors Coming to Photography (via DivePhotoGuide)
- May the Force Be with You- Shark Defends Itself With Lightsaber… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Seine netter feud: I won’t go (via African Diver)
- Ikelite Announces New Lithium Ion Batteries and Charger (via DivePhotoGuide)
- U’Water Photography news - DUC Shootout 2013 (via African Diver)
- ‘Vampires’ attack penguin chicks (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: Lembeh Strait Critter Highlights (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Chemical link to otter penis problem (via BBC)