Late Availability: Dominica Sperm Whales with Keri Wilk
Wetpixel’s friend, underwater photographer and all-round good guy Keri Wilk has a few late availability spots open for his annual Dominica sperm whale trips. Interacting with sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) is strictly controlled by permit on the island and Keri has 3 of them! If you want to document these amazing creatures, this is an amazing opportunity.
Lexi Thompson recreates Muhammad Ali’s famous underwater photo
Golfer Lexi Thompson posed for some underwater photographs and simultaneously channeled Muhammad Ali. Photographer Al Bello recreated Flip Shulke’s 1961 underwater image of Ali with the female golfer in December. Ali passed away last year and on tuesday, he would have turned 75.
CrumplePop announces EasyTracker
Crumplepop has released a plugin called EasyTracker for Final Cut Pro X. It allows the insertion of text or graphics that will follow an object’s motion within the frame into a video sequence.
Nauticam ships housing for Sony a6500
Join us! Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2017
Wetpixel returns to Isla Mujeres in August 2017 to observe and document the amazing whale shark (Rhincodon typus) aggregation. One of nature’s most amazing and unique events, hundreds of whale sharks gather each year to feed on eggs spawned by bonito (Euthynnus alletteratus) off the island. Join us to witness this amazing spectacle.
Cathy Church announces USA seminar dates
Six areas added to the California Coastal National Monument
Today President Obama designated an additional six areas as part of the California Coastal National Monument. The six areas total 6,230 acres and include some small islands off the coast of Orange County as well as a large piece of land in Santa Cruz. Currently all of the land is managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, some of it since 2014, but the new status protects the areas from future development. Image from Shutterstock.
Call for entries: Dive Travel Show photo contest
Buceo Iberico in conjunction with Dive Travel Show has announced the 2017 Underwater Photo Contest Dive Travel Show. It is being held in conjunction with the Dive Travel Show which will be held in Madrid, Spain on 4 and 5 March. There is no entry fee and the deadline for entries is 14 February.
- Canon updates EOS-1D X firmware to 2.0.7 (via )
- Underwater surfers by Paul Nicklen NG photo of the day (via )
- Panasonic updates Lumix DMC-GH4 firmware to 2.1 (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D (via )
- Sports Illustrated has laid off all staff photographers (via )
- Your favorite underwater Instagram photos into temporary tattoos (via )
- Shutterstock acquires Rex features for $33M (via )
- When icebergs flip, they are a brilliant blue color (via )
- Prehistoric marine reptile fossil discovered in Scotland (via )
- Issue 82 of Underwater Photography magazine is available to… (via )