Announcing the SoCal Shootout
The 2014 SoCal Shootout will be held from 12 to 14 September. Geographically, images have to be captured “in the Pacific Ocean anywhere south of Pt. Conception to north of the Mexican border to be eligible”. There are multiple entry categories.
2014 Monterey Shootout winners announced
Recsea announces housing for Sony RX100 III
Recsea has announced their housing for the Sony RX100 III compact camera. It is constructed of anodized aluminum and provides access to both front and rear command dials on the camera. The rear command dial also has a push button function for accessing the center button.
Sea&Sea unveils their housing for the Sony RX100 III
Sea&Sea has announced their new housing for the Sony DSC-RX100 III compact camera. The MDX RX-100 III is made of aluminum and allows the camera’s internal flash to be both activated and used to trigger external strobes via fiber optic connections. It will also allow the camera’s LCD to be set at a 10° angle.
Gates announces housing for Arri Alexa
Gates Underwater Products has announced the imminent release of their housings for Arri Alexa cameras. One model will fit Arri EV and XT models whilst another will be for the Arri XT Plus. Gates supports over PL mount lenses with their Lens Gear Drive system.
Subal releases the ND4S Angler housing
Subal has announced their new housing for the Nikon D4s SLR camera. Called the ND4S Angler, it gives access to most camera controls and is compatible with the preceding Nikon D4 camera too.
Call for entries: Ocean Film Festival
The organizers of the annual San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival are calling for entries to the 2015 event. The Festival will be held from 5 to 9 March 2015 at the Bay Theatre, Aquarium of the Bay, Pier 39, San Francisco.
Sony announces the α5100 camera
Sony has announced the release of their α5100 mirrorless camera. It has a 4.3 MP APS-C Exmor™ CMOS sensor, the BIONZ X processor and the Hybrid AF system from the α6000. Video can be recorded in XAVC S2 formats, which can output at 50 Mbps and in dual formats to the same card.
- Free Aperture to Lightroom migration tool in open beta (via )
- Seahorses growl when stressed study shows (via )
- Artist Nathaniel Stern and his team make underwater scans (via )
- Japan’s prime minister confirms whale hunt to resume in… (via )
- Nikon NX-D software to be released for free in a week (via )
- Stunning school of mobula rays NG photo of the day (via )
- New TSA rules require batteries to be charged before flights (via )
- Issue 79 of Underwater Photography magazine available to download (via )
- Issue 61 of X-Ray magazine available to download (via )
- Fish are smart and feel pain (via )