Large food service company bans plastic straws at more than 1,000 locations
A large food service management company, Bon Appetit Foods, has banned plastic straws in its more than 1,000 locations across the United States. Bon Appetit runs restaurants at locations such as museums, college campuses, ball parks, and other notable places. The company announced that it had purchased 16.8 million plastic straws in 2017 alone. The company will offer compostable straws as an alternative to the plastic version. Bon Appetit hopes to fully implement the ban by 2019.
Film: Dreams of Atlantis by Howard Hall Productions
Alex Mustard is awarded an MBE
World Oceans Day 2018
June 8 is celebrated as World Ocean’s Day, an occasion to reflect on the global perils that threaten the health of the blue areas of our planet. As image makers, we can offer a unique perspective by documenting the beauty, fragility and perils of our oceans. On 9 June there is a global March for the Oceans, an opportunity to unite and tell lawmakers that marine conservation matters. The March also calls for people to meet and carry out clean ups and other activities.
Newly invented chamber allows scientists to bring deep water fish to surface
A new device is allowing scientists to bring live specimens of deep dwelling fish to the surface for study without using invasive techniques. The pressurized chamber, known as the SubCAS (Submersible Chamber of Ascending Specimens), was invented by scientists at the California Academy of Sciences and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The devise specifically is meant for fishes living in the mesopelagic zone, 600 to 3,500 feet below the surface of the ocean. In the past scientist have punctured the swim bladder of fish to allow for escaping gases as they are brought to the surface, an invasive technique.
Paper investigates metabolic cost of cage diving
DxO updates the Nik Collection
DxO has released a significant update to the Nik Collection of plugins. The company bought the suite from Google in 2017 and has rewritten the code to allow the apps to be fully compatible with Adobe CC and newer operating systems. The Nik Collection 2018 consists of the same seven apps as the original collection.
Maluku Divers closes
- A closer look at the taxidermy anteater photo (via )
- Photo of an osprey with a shark with a fish (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom Classic to 7.3.1 (via )
- Sony updates a7 Mark III firmware to 1.01 (via )
- There is a brewery that ages beer underwater in the Adriatic Sea (via )
- Canon has released firmware 22.214.171.124.00 for the Cinema EOS C200… (via )
- Canon updates EOS 1-D X Mark II firmware to 1.1.6 (via )
- A wildlife photographer’s gear stash (via )
- Nikon updates D5 firmware to version 1.21 (via )
- Insect photographer sues pest control company for $2.7m (via )