Red Giant launches beta of BulletProof
NG cover shot of James Cameron taken in a tank
When the June issue of National Geographic hits newsstands in a few days, readers will have a deeper view of James Cameron. At first glance the cover shot appears to be a standard underwater portrait. But the “Behind the Cover” story sheds some light on how it was captured.
How to print a life size photograph of a whale
Agony in a bowl: Amazing claymation video
13-year old Kyle Kelleher has produced a short claymation video to help bring awareness about the controversial delicacy of shark fin soup.
Flickr: “No such thing as professional photographers anymore”
Whilst announcing a redesign of Flickr, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer claimed that the company wants “to make Flickr awesome again”. She went on to say that: “There’s no such thing as Flickr Pro today because [with so many people taking photographs] there’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore,” although she acknowledged that there are photographers with “different skill levels”.
Google takes street view for a dive
TechCrunch has published an article about Google’s ongoing project to add “Street View” style imagery from the underwater realm. Google’s recent I/O conference included a presentation from the Catlin Seaview Survey team, and details have been made public of how the team’s imaging scooters create the underwater mapping.
Shark Angels launches online charity auction
Branson brokers deal to protect Caribbean sharks
Businessman Sir Richard Branson hosted a conservation meeting of nine Caribbean governments last weekend. Held at the eco resort on Necker Island, the group discussed the “Caribbean Challenge”, which calls for special protected zones along at least 20 per cent of the region’s coasts by 2020. In addition, Branson said: “About 1.5m sharks and rays a week are killed for the Chinese fin and medicinal market. It is the biggest mass killing of any genus. The Caribbean leader here want to set an example by banning shark fishing.”
- Adobe Camera Raw turns 10 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Scientist: Northwest Pacific Whites Aren't Threatened or… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 "Dust" Service Advisory (via DivePhotoGuide)
- 62 Year-Old Albatross and Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Chick (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon Releases Macro Wet Lenses (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Highway Discovery: New Whale Species Discovered Under Freeway (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Viewpoint: Farm virus spreads to deer (via BBC)
- Explaining the Optical Low Pass Filter (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon seeks input into label designs for their Z240 strobe (via )
- Bees sense flowers’ electric signals (via BBC)