CineBags Underwater releases port cases
70 percent of Japan’s largest coral reef has died
Japan’s largest coral reef is dying due to rising sea temperatures. Over 90 percent of corals on Japan’s Sekiseishoko reef in the Ryukyu Islands, near Okinawa, have some bleaching and 70 percent of the corals have died overall. The reef was surveyed in November and December by Japan’s Environment ministry. The bleaching is the worst in the recorded history of the reef and is due to rising sea temperatures.
Exploring the idea of consciousness in octopus
Peter Godfrey-Smith has published a book titled, “The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness”. It explores one of the most curious creatures of the underwater world and the idea of their consciousness. Carl Safina, ocean conservationist, reviews the book for the New York Times and in doing so composes a wonderful story that is in and of itself worth reading.
The Shootout returns: Lembeh vs Gulen round 2
Subal announces housing for GoPro HERO 5
Subal has announced a new housing for the GoPro HERO 5. Constructed of aluminum, it numerous mounting options and a depth rating of 300m. It can be equipped with an adaptor that allows it to be used with Subal dome ports.
GIMP seeks funding
Open source image editing application GIMP is seeking funding from its user community. Up until now, Øyvind Kolås, the main driver behind the forthcoming 2.10 update to the app has been living off his savings whilst doing the development work. Although the GIMP app will remain free, users are being encouraged to help support the work on the updates by contributing on Kolås’ Patreon page.
Paper describes seal whisker sensory ability
MindShift Gear First Light camera rucksacks
MindShift Gear has updated the information about their First Light series of camera backpacks. These three models have the advantage of being carry-on compatible, and also have proper rucksack frames and carrying systems. This should help ease the strain of humping heavy bags around airports.
- Photos for Mac that will replace Aperture and iPhoto (via )
- Divers discover underwater forest off coast of Britain (via )
- An underwater portrait shoot with kayaker Viktoria Wolffhardt (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve to 11.2 (via )
- Basking shark seen for first time in Indonesia (via )
- A drone that films just under the water line (via )
- Small underwater shelters show impressive creature diversity (via )
- NG Wild to Inspire wildlife film contest (via )
- Freighter ship runs aground in Galapagos (via )
- Canon updates firmware for EOS 5D Mark III (via )