Final call: Wetpixel whale sharks 2013
We have the last few spaces available for the Wetpixel Whale Sharks trips this year. These represent the ultimate opportunity to get up close and personal with amazing numbers of the largest fish in the sea. Trip members from previous years have encountered over 300 whale sharks per day!
New species of goby discovered
Greenpeace showcases the biological diversity of Raja Ampat
Greenpeace has featured a gallery of pictures by Paul Hilton showcasing the biological diversity of Raja Ampat, Indonesia. The organization published the images to celebrate the International Day for Biological Diversity. (Image is © Paul Hilton / Greenpeace)
Death by ctenophore on BlennyWatcher
Ned and Anna DeLoach of BlennyWatcher have been studying the feeding habits on benthic ctenophores during their recent trip to Indonesia. These creatures, related to comb jellies, were thought to be plankton feeders, but have now been shown to be active and voracious predators, feeding on crabs, fish and even tube worms. (Images by Ned DeLoach/BlennyWatcher.com).
Book: The Eye of the Whale
Author and illustrator Jennifer O’Connell has produced an illustrated book entitled The Eye of the Whale that tells the story of the remarkable rescue of a humpback whale entangled in line, as well as the whale’s remarkable and profound connection that it shared with its rescuers.
Red Giant launches beta of BulletProof
NG cover shot of James Cameron taken in a tank
When the June issue of National Geographic hits newsstands in a few days, readers will have a deeper view of James Cameron. At first glance the cover shot appears to be a standard underwater portrait. But the “Behind the Cover” story sheds some light on how it was captured.
How to print a life size photograph of a whale
- U’Water Photography news - DUC Shootout 2013 (via African Diver)
- ‘Vampires’ attack penguin chicks (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: Lembeh Strait Critter Highlights (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Chemical link to otter penis problem (via BBC)
- Initial Analysis of James Cameron’s Expedition Revealed (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Adobe Camera Raw turns 10 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Scientist: Northwest Pacific Whites Aren't Threatened or… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 "Dust" Service Advisory (via DivePhotoGuide)
- 62 Year-Old Albatross and Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Chick (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon Releases Macro Wet Lenses (via DivePhotoGuide)