Inon publishes guide to color temperature conversion
Video: Fur seal pups frolicking in waterfall
Report from the 2013 Digital Shootout published
Kickstarter project: Ziphius Aquatic drone
The creators of the Ziphius Aquatic drone are seeking funding on Kickstarter. The ROV is controlled by cameras and smartphones from up to 300 ft away and can output real-time 720p video to an external device or record to an internal SD card. It is not designed for sub-surface use, but can achieve up to 6 mph on the surface.
Yap Pacific World Shoot Out 2013 announced
Yap Pacific Dive resort has announced that it will be running the Yap Pacific World Shoot Out from 15 August. Also entitled “The World’s Best UW Photo”, the contest is based around a public vote on Facebook.
Cayman Islands Underwater Photography Competition announced
The Cayman Islands Tourist Authority (CITA) is hosting its Underwater Photography Competition in conjunction with the 9th Annual International Underwater Film Festival. The photography competition is open to anyone, professional or amateur and local or visitor who wishes to submit photos to be considered in the contest. All entries must have been taken in the Cayman Islands.
Wetsuit patterned like lionfish to deter sharks
A company has created a wetsuit patterned like a venomous lionfish to deter sharks. Experts have doubts whether it will work.
Thresher sharks stun prey with tail slaps
A paper in the journal PLoS ONE about the hunting strategies of pelagic thresher sharks (Alopias pelagicus) has shown that the animals do use their tales to stun prey. The behavior was investigated at Pescador Island in the Philippines over 5 months in 2010, using a video camera to record the predation. (Image from Shutterstock)
- Polar bear protection proposal rejected at CITES (via BBC)
- Panasonic announces updates for its GH3 camera and 4-42, 45-175… (via )
- The Nikon Coolpix A: Why it is way more important than you think (via )
- Issue 26 of African Diver magazine is now available to download (via African Diver)
- A great photographic account of the operations at NASA’s neutral… (via )
- Canon has developed a high-sensitivity low noise full-frame CMOS… (via )
- Think Tank releases new battery and Compact Flash card pouches. (via )
- Issue 53 of X-Ray Mag is available to download (via )
- Ocean Film Festival begins 03-07-2013 in San Francisco (via )
- The March issue of DIVE magazine is now available online (via )