Sea Save Auction is open for bids
Jeff Cable: The Do’s and Don’ts of Memory Cards
National Geographic outs shark image hoax
A digitally manipulated image of a great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias) apparently breaching is the subject of an elaborate hoax. An individual going by the name of Bob Burton, is claiming to be a National Geographic magazine’s “chief” photographer and that the image is National Geographic’s “photo of the year”. National Geographic denies that Burton is an employee and states that they do not award a “photo of the year”. Image from Shutterstock.
How whale species are adapting to changing ice in the Antarctic
National Geographic has just published an article that follows scientists through Antarctic waters as they try to determine how whale species are adapting to less ice and warmer temperatures. National Geographic Explorer Ari Friedlaender, of Oregon State University, is in the Antarctic to study humpback whales and Antarctic minke whales. The population of minke whales, who depend on sea ice for survival, has dropped while the population of humpback whales, who thrive in open ocean, have grown significantly.
Tutorial: Sharpening using Lightroom View Mask
Princess cruise line criminally fined for deliberate illegal dumping in ocean
The Department of Justice has fined Princess Cruise Line a fine for deliberate ocean pollution. The $40 million fine is “the largest-ever criminal penalty involving deliberate vessel pollution” according to the Department of Justice. The illegal pollution was reported by a whistleblowing engineer who quit over the practices in 2013.
Call for entries: DUC Shootout 2017
Mexico announces biosphere reserve
Just ahead of the UN Biodiversity Conference in Cancun, Mexico has announced a new biosphere reserve encompassing much of the Quintana Roo coastline. Mexico News Today reports that the new protected area will encompass 5.7 million hectares (22,000 sq. miles), and will include the municipalities of Isla Mujeres, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos, Solidaridad, Cozumel, Tulum, Bacalar and Othón P. Blanco
- Divers discover underwater forest off coast of Britain (via )
- An underwater portrait shoot with kayaker Viktoria Wolffhardt (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve to 11.2 (via )
- Basking shark seen for first time in Indonesia (via )
- A drone that films just under the water line (via )
- Small underwater shelters show impressive creature diversity (via )
- NG Wild to Inspire wildlife film contest (via )
- Freighter ship runs aground in Galapagos (via )
- Canon updates firmware for EOS 5D Mark III (via )
- Canon updates EOS-1D X firmware to 2.0.7 (via )