Video: Steve Perry on lens diffraction
Serif launches Affinity Photo
Serif has launched a beta version of Affinity Photo, which the company claims, is a pro competitor for Photoshop. It features an up-to-date code architecture, powerful selection tools, a depth of field tool and infilling (similar to Content Aware Fill). The beta is only for Mac and is available as a free download. Upon its release, Affinity Photo will cost $50 to purchase, which includes two years of free updates/upgrades.
Daily updates from Three Sisters Spring available on Facebook
The influx of large numbers of manatees into the the Three Sister Springs area of Crystal River has lead to it being closed to visitors several times over the past few weeks. In order to try and disseminate information about its closure, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) will be posting daily updates on its Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge Facebook page.
New study shows why oyster recovery in Chesapeake Bay is struggling
Video: Cristian Dimitrius on the wildlife filmmaking industry
Indonesia punishes illegal manta ray trader
In Indonesia’s “tough, new stance to protect manta rays and stop illegal fishing and trading” the first illegal trader of manta ray parts has been sentenced. The trader, known as Wrd, was arrested with four others in August and September of last year. This is the first sentencing to be handed down under the new law that was enacted last year.
Ikelite releases port extension
Ikelite has released a 2.2 inch port extension that provides compatibility for various longer lenses when used in conjunction with their mirrorless flat port. It attaches using Ikelite’s press-fit design common to their mirrorless and compact SLR housings.
Cozumel diving guide ebook available
Steve Rosenberg has let us know that his updated Dive Cozumel interactive eBook is available now. It features extensive information on both diving and land activities as well as practical travel recommendations and tips. It also includes a complete section on the marine life found in the waters near Cozumel.
- Scientists warn that ocean conservation efforts may be misplaced (via BBC)
- Researchers develop miniature wide-angle lens (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine now available to download (via )
- Fluid filled lens mimics traits of human vision (via )
- More Nikon 1 AW1 coverage (via )
- The Blenny Challenge week 5 (via )
- Impressive time lapse of Costa Concordia righting (via )
- Adobe releases Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 (via )
- Matson to pay for devastating molasses spill (via )
- NY Times Retro Report - Freeing Willy (via )