Winners of University of Miami underwater photo contest announced
The winners of the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science underwater photography contest have been announced. The best overall photograph was shot by Audrey Shpatak of a Japanese warbonnet in Rudnaya Bay, Japan.
Daniel Botelho exhibits at the Louvre
National Geographic photographer and Wetpixel contributor, Daniel Botelho is having a selection of his underwater images exhibited at the Louvre Museum, Paris. Entitled “Art from the SEVEN Seas”, the retrospective celebrates his 10 years of underwater image making and runs from 20 May to 15 June.
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: Orcas in Antarctica
Nauticam ships housing for Atomos Shogun
Nauticam has announced the availability of their long-awaited housing for the Atomos Shogun video monitor/recorder. Controls include access to touch-screen functions like “Waveform Monitoring Functions” and “Monitor Assist Functions” overlays. It is equipped with cooling fans powered via a battery in the housing, and Nauticam’s vacuum check system is supplied as standard.
Video: Under the Earth
Underwater photo shoot in a pool with an elephant
Video: Wild Oceans from Phuket, Thailand
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans episode this week is from Phuket, Thailand. The dive site, Kata Reef is a unique and beautiful coral playground. Underwater cameraman Nicolas Lurot captures a mimic octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) making a dash for cover to evade a lionfish on the hunt and a giant frogfish (Antennarius commerson) as it “walks” along the seafloor.
Last space on Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015 available
If you are interested in amazing encounters and images with whale sharks (Rhincodon typus), we have one last space available on the Wetpixel trip to Isla Mujeres for this year. Every year, vast numbers of sharks and sometimes mantas gather to fed on the copious ammounts of fish eggs that are in the water. The space is available on the trip running from 06 to 12 August.
- December edition of DIVEMAG now available to download (via )
- Japanese super sub discovered off Hawaii (via )
- December issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Seahorse shape aids stealth hunting techniques (via BBC)
- Protecting underwater real estate for fish (via )
- NOAA and state shark fin bans (via )
- New marine conservation zones for UK (via BBC)
- Video: Coral spawning on the Great Barrier Reef (via BBC)
- Hawaii’s Lake Waiau mysteriously disappearing (via )
- Tube worms fluorescence due to Vitamin B (via )