The Bahamas expands marine protected areas
Registration open: Underwater Photography Global Championship 2015
The World Shootout is calling for national team entries to the Underwater Photography Global Championship 2015. Each team consists of 3 photographers from the same country that submit a combined portfolio of 6 images. These can be taken anywhere is the world, but must have been shot between 1 January and 1 November 2015. Judging will take place live at the BOOT show, Dusseldorf on 30 January 2016.
BIUPC results announced
The 2015 British and Irish Underwater Photography Championship (BIUPC) drew 55 contestants from throughout the UK and Ireland to shoot images underwater for 24 hours on 5September. The resulting entries were judged by Peter Rowlands, Martin Edge and Steve Jones. Congratulations to all the winners and especially to Charles Erb whose lovely double exposed image of a sea-loch anemone and the surface in Loch Long, Scotland was placed first.
Nauticam ships the NA-EOSM3 housing
Nauticam are shipping their housing for the Canon EOS M3 mirrorless camera. The NA-EOSM3 offers comprehensive lens and port support, as well as the company’s new “right hand on grip” shutter release extension. It has 2 “L” type fiber optic bulkheads and offers a port for the Nauticam vacuum leak detection bulkhead and an M16 port for HDMI, hydrophone or Electronic strobe triggering bulkheads.
WWF: Living Blue Planet Report 2015
The newly released WWF Living Blue Planet Report of 2015 suggests that populations of marine life have declined by half since 1970. The research tracks 5,829 populations of 1,234 mammal, bird, reptile, and fish species in the oceans. The data is then analyzed by scientists at the Zoological Society of London. (Image from Shutterstock)
Borneo from Below: The most unique dive resort on earth
Sony announces uncompressed RAW output on α series cameras
Review: Seacam Vacuum Test system
Vacuum housing systems have become de rigueur over the past couple of years, with almost all the major housing manufacturers offering them as either standard fitment, or as an option. Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews Seacam’s new Vacuum Test system, including both DIY installation and use in the field.
- 6.9 earthquake off California in Pacific Ocean sunday (via )
- Fleet of underwater drones to map ocean floor (via )
- Hammerhead shark by Denis Nezhentsev - NG photo of the day (via )
- Sony promises improved image quality update for A7 and A7R (via )
- New California bill seeks to ban Orcas performing in captivity (via )
- Getty images are now free for non-commercial use (via )
- Harp seal found on New York beach (via )
- Malibu protects dolphins and whales (via )
- Issue 14 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available to download (via )
- Sea Lions of the Galapagos Islands (via )