ARRI announces the ALEX Mini
ARRI has announced the ALEXA Mini camera. Capable of shooting in uncompressed ARRIRAW 2.8K or 4K UHD, it features a built in lens motor controller for use with PL mount lenses and it has an interchangeable lens mount allowing the use of B4 video and EF mount still lenses. It also has excellent low-light capabilities.
Image: Under Ice by Jerzy Kowalczuk
Spaces available on Doubilet workshop
National Geographic photographer David Doubilet and his photographic partner Jen Hayes, along with digital post production artist Hal Silverman have a few spaces left on their underwater photography workshop. It is being held from 16 to 23 May at Sunset House on Grand Cayman. The instructional team do not offer these workshops often, so it represents a great opportunity to enhance your photographic skills with some of the true “masters” of the art.
Celebrating the birth of Mako Cheng
Wetpixel publisher Eric Cheng has announced the birth of his son Mako Edward Cheng on 21 February at 23:52. Mother and baby are both doing well. I’m sure the Wetpixel community will join in wishing Eric, Pam and Mako huge congratulations and wish them all the very best of good luck and fortune.
Launch of underwater photo exhibit at Nemo 33
Image: Alien Abstract by Daniel Selmeczi
Photoshop celebrates 25 years of digital manipulation
Photoshop celebrates its 25 year anniversary today. The software, originally called Display, was invented in 1987 by Thomas Knoll who then attempted to monetise it. Photoshop has since been released in 18 versions, and its name is now used a verb to describe any image that has been edited (“photoshopped”).
Divers discover gold coins off Mediterranean coast of Israel
Divers have discovered a trove of gold coins off the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The approximately 2,000 gold coins are believed to be 1,000 years old and are priceless in value.
- Robots shred jellies off Korea (via )
- Vancouver aquarium releases seal pups back into the wild (via )
- Monk seal bites triathletes in Hawaii (via )
- Shutdown threatens oceanographic research (via )
- Nikon D610 officially announced (via )
- Montserrat: An island abandoned and reclaimed by nature (via )
- Sponges allow corals to thrive in marine deserts (via BBC)
- New free Lightroom Quick Start guide available to download (via )
- Sixty new species discovered in Suriname (via )
- National Geographic photography issue (via )