Quebec tourists are treated to an up close and personal fin whale encounter
A boat of whale watching tourists had an up close and personal encounter with a fin whale this past week in Quebec, Canada. The group of whale watchers were observing a pair of fin whales swimming parallel to their boat when one resurfaced, with mouth agape, right next to their boat, submerging at the last minute. The moment was captured in two different simultaneous videos.
WDC publishes guide to responsible whale and dolphin watching
Australian Great White Sharks by Don Silcock
Call for entries: Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship
The Florida Skin Divers Association is calling for entries to the Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship, the results of which will be announced at the 2016 Guy Harvey Lionfish Safari. The contest offers over $8,000 in prizes and entry categories for images from Florida waters including: Macro, wide angle, compact camera, video and lionfish removal video. The deadline for entries is 26 August.
Exposure labs is still seeking UW photographers to help with coral bleaching video
Underwater Photography Masterclass available in the U.S.A.
Paper describes shark concentration at Fakarava
A paper in the Current Biology Journal describes the “inverted trophic pyramid” that exists at the South Pass at Fakarava, French Polynesia. Between 250 to 700 grey reef sharks (Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos) inhabit the area thanks to the grouper spawning aggregations that occur in the pass.
A $1 Billion Lawsuit has been filed against Getty by photographer Carol Highsmith
When photographer Carol Highsmith began donating images for public use to the Library of Congress’ Prints and Photographs Division in 1988, she did not imagine that one day an image licensing giant (Getty) would be profiting from her photographs. In fact, the manner in which she discovered Getty was falsely licensing her public domain images was through a cease and desist letter from them demanding she remove one of her own images from her personal website, or pay a $120 fine. She has since filed a $1 Billion lawsuit against Getty and Alamy.
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.4 (via )
- Issue 17 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available for download (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )
- Photoshelter updates the CF/SD/XQD card database (via )
- Jellyfish cam is live at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (via )
- Tutorial about another way of correcting fisheye distortion (via )
- A plug-in to correct for fisheye lens distortion (via )
- Underwater fashion photoshoot using Sony Xperia Z3 (via )
- Canon photographer Tyler Stableford on photographing whale sharks (via )