Shawn Heinrichs to speak at TEDxBoulder
Divers carry out sea urchin cull
Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2014
We are building a list of people who may be interested in an expedition to Isla Mujeres for the whale shark aggregation in 2014. Dates and prices for the trip are still to be confirmed, however by adding you name to the list we will ensure that as these details become firmer you will be kept in the loop. If you would like to be added to the list, please contact us via the Wetpixel contact page.
Contour closes its doors
Action cam manufacturer Contour has closed its doors and ceased production. The reasons cited for the failure are the prominence of GoPro in the market and the company’s Seattle base making it difficult to access funding.
10 Bar announces housing for Olympus OMD-EM5
10 Bar has released details of their housing for the Olympus OMD EM-5 mirrorless camera. It has an aluminum front section, with a clear acrylic back featuring a double o ring seal. Strobe triggering is available via fiber optic bulkheads and 10 Bar has port support for the 12-50mm, 60mm, 14/20mm and 8mm lenses.
Video: Crab vs. methane vent
An ROV surveying methane vents at 4,130 ft as a part of Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute project around Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, captured some amazing footage of a deep-sea crab “hunting” a vent.
Nikon: Mirrorless camera sales disappointing
The Blennywatcher Diary: August 2013
In the August instalment of The Blennywatcher Diary, Anna and Ned DeLoach report back on their recent trip to Utila, Honduras. Among other sightings, they recorded a Quillfin Blenny, Large-eye Toadfish and Yellow Jawfish. They also discuss hybridization and how species can be dispersed outside of their normal ranges by currents.
- Photographer lists his subject as a defendant in copyright suit (via )
- Fstoppers reviews the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 lens (via )
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )
- A new study shows that stressed corals fluoresce less when… (via )
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )