Contour closes its doors
Action cam manufacturer Contour has closed its doors and ceased production. The reasons cited for the failure are the prominence of GoPro in the market and the company’s Seattle base making it difficult to access funding.
10 Bar announces housing for Olympus OMD-EM5
10 Bar has released details of their housing for the Olympus OMD EM-5 mirrorless camera. It has an aluminum front section, with a clear acrylic back featuring a double o ring seal. Strobe triggering is available via fiber optic bulkheads and 10 Bar has port support for the 12-50mm, 60mm, 14/20mm and 8mm lenses.
Video: Crab vs. methane vent
An ROV surveying methane vents at 4,130 ft as a part of Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute project around Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, captured some amazing footage of a deep-sea crab “hunting” a vent.
Nikon: Mirrorless camera sales disappointing
The Blennywatcher Diary: August 2013
In the August instalment of The Blennywatcher Diary, Anna and Ned DeLoach report back on their recent trip to Utila, Honduras. Among other sightings, they recorded a Quillfin Blenny, Large-eye Toadfish and Yellow Jawfish. They also discuss hybridization and how species can be dispersed outside of their normal ranges by currents.
Amazon begins selling underwater fine art
Call for entries: Ocean Art 2013
The Ocean Art Photography Competition 2013 is now calling for entries. The competition has 12 categories, including a novice dSLR category and 3 compact camera categories as well as super macro, cold/temperate water, nudibranchs, and divers/fashion. Other more traditional categories include wide-angle, macro, marine life portraits, and marine life behavior.
Florida policeman stops traffic to save turtle hatchlings
Sarasota policeman Derek Conley was on patrol at 1 a.m. last Saturday when he found turtle hatchlings in a hotel parking lot. He and passers-by gathered them into a box and then released them into the water. The officer was forced to stop traffic several times in order to do so and he estimates that some 90-100 turtles were saved. (Image by Sarasota police)
- Photographer lists his subject as a defendant in copyright suit (via )
- Fstoppers reviews the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 lens (via )
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )
- A new study shows that stressed corals fluoresce less when… (via )
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )