2014 DEEP Indonesia Photo Competition Winners Announced
DPG and Wetpixel are proud to announce the winners of the 2014 DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photography Competition. The competition is part of a unique series of underwater imaging events and has become one of the biggest and most prestigious in the world. This year the competition received thousands of entries from underwater photographers in over 15 countries. Congratulations to Bert Willaert, who won Best of Show for his 1st place image from the Compact Camera category.
Seacam announces their academy
ICJ rules in favour of whales
The BBC reports that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s annual Southern Ocean whale hunt is primarily a commercial undertaking, rather than a scientific one. In addition, the ICJ has ordered a temporary halt to the whaling program. (Image credit to wdeon / Shutterstock.com)
Behind the Shot: Seek by Nina Baxa
Nina Baxa has shared a stunning shot of a Spotted Eagle Ray on Wetpixel’s Facebook page. The image was very popular on Facebook. Here she shares how she got the shot.
Video: Slow Life by Daniel Stoupin
Paper shows that sea snakes dehydrate at sea
Wetpixel/Scubacam ADEX Party 2014
The annual ADEX show is being held at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, Singapore from 11 to 13 April. Wetpixel plans to be there reporting “live” from the show, and it is also the time for the Wetpixel/Scubacam Underwater Imaging party. Like its sibling at DEMA, the Wetpixel/Scubacam party is the place to meet and hang out with fellow underwater camera enthusiasts. This year, our party moves up 20 floors to ME@OUE, which overlooks the wonderful Marina Bay.
DeepPro releases GoPro housing
DeepPro has launched a new housing for GoPro HERO 3 and 3+ cameras. The GPH3 aluminum housing features a dome port that increases the GoPro’s in water field of view underwater to that of it at the surface and does not vignette even in Superwide mode. It also reduces the minimum focus distance to 6” and has bulkhead allowing for the use of an external monitor or recorder.
- Coral reefs devastated by climate change (via )
- Scientific American: The effects of climate change on coral reefs (via )
- Apple updates Aperture to version 3.4.5 (via )
- Great Barrier Reef Youtube live event now! (via )
- MBARI publishes study of seafloor trash (via )
- Canon EOS M update due by end of June (via )
- Graphene used to produce super sensitive camera sensor (via )
- Fisherman receiving backlash for mako shark catch off CA (via )
- Whale deaths to be minimized as shipping lanes moved (via )
- DIVE magazine’s June issue is available to download (via )