Call for entries: Oceans 13 Film Festival
The Oceans 13 Film Festival, held in conjunction with the San Diego based OCEANS 13 Conference, is soliciting entries. The Festival will be held over Sunday 22 and Monday 23 September at the Town and Country Convention Center. The venue will seat over 1,500 and has a state-of-art High Definition projection and audio system. Full entry details are on the SDUPS website and the deadline is 22 July.
Video: Tagging Giants of the Deep
Secrets of the narwhal’s tusk revealed
The function of the curious unicorn-like tusk of the Narwhal (Monodon monoceros) has long been a puzzle to researchers. However, a researcher from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine is to present a paper about the tooth’s function at the 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, writes the Harvard Gazette.
Quartz claims that China is under reporting its fish catches
Quartz has claimed that China is dramatically under reporting what it takes from the world’s oceans. It submits an average annual catch total of 368,000 tons per year to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, while the European Parliament has recently put the figure at 4.6 million tons.
New product: Olympus PEN EP-5 mirrorless camera
Olympus has announced the release of a new flagship model in their PEN mirrorless range. The EP-5 features “Advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization”, “high-speed response FAST AF” and 1/8000s maximum shutter speed. Controls can be accessed via a new “2x2 Dial Control” with a control lever which may help accessing functions in a housing and the VF-4 viewfinder is now detachable.
Pierre Carreau’s frozen wave photography
Adobe creates a furore over its Creative Cloud plans
The Adobe MAX address on Monday focused on Adobe’s roadmap for the future regarding ownership of software. Their traditional distribution of software via bought versions has been abandoned and will be replaced almost entirely with a subscription based model. This has caused some outrage in the imaging community.
Call for entries: World ShootOut Junior category
The World ShootOut is calling for entries for their “Children of the World ShootOut” category. This is open to all young people aged between 7 to 14 years and images must have been taken whilst snorkeling or scuba diving with a compact camera in a housing or a waterproof compact camera.
- Seine netter feud: I won’t go (via African Diver)
- Ikelite Announces New Lithium Ion Batteries and Charger (via DivePhotoGuide)
- U’Water Photography news - DUC Shootout 2013 (via African Diver)
- ‘Vampires’ attack penguin chicks (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: Lembeh Strait Critter Highlights (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Chemical link to otter penis problem (via BBC)
- Initial Analysis of James Cameron’s Expedition Revealed (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Adobe Camera Raw turns 10 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Scientist: Northwest Pacific Whites Aren't Threatened or… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 "Dust" Service Advisory (via DivePhotoGuide)