Final call: Wetpixel Komodo Expedition
Wetpixel has some late availability for the Wetpixel South Komodo Expedition. The trip, aboard the luxury liveaboard The Seven Seas will take in amazing, clear, warm 84°F degree water and some of the healthiest reefs you have ever seen, and reefs inundated with crinoids and soft corals. (Photo by Linda Johnston)
New Zealand sets out to ban finning
X-Ray magazine has posted an article about the New Zealand government implementing a timetable to ban shark finning. The ban will be phased in, with the first species being protected from October 2014, and all 113 species that exist in New Zealand waters being included in the ban by 2016. (Image from Shutterstock)
Video: Ocean Stories trailer
Howard and Michelle Hall have been supplying footage and on-camera support for a new PBS series that is currently in production. The idea is that the series will feature 100 ocean related stories from 100 people from diverse walks of life.
Aquatica unveils the AE-M1 housing
Aquatica has released details of their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mirrorless camera. The AE-M1 will ship with a vacuum leak detection system and Aquatica will provide port support all popular underwater lenses for the camera. It can also be fitted with Aquatica’s Aquaview viewfinders.
Results: Indonesian World Underwater Photography Contest 2013
Appeal: Housi Neuenschwander needs our support
Hans “Housi” Neuenschwander, a dive guide and friend working in Indonesia, is suffering from liver failure and desperately needs to be repatriated to Switzerland for a liver transplant. While he waits, he has been put into an induced coma in Bali. Housi worked on liveaboards in Indonesia, including Pindito and Mutiara Laut so many of you will have dived with him, and now he needs to go home to be made healthy. He needs our support to do so.
Nauticam announces their housing for Sony A7
Nauticam has released details of their new housing for the Sony A7 and A7R cameras. The NA-7 has a switch that allows the user to choose either LCD or EVF and a Nikonos 5 pin bulkhead. Perhaps most interestingly, Nauticam are producing a Nikonos adaptor, allowing the use of the Sea & Sea 12mm fisheye or Nikonos 15mm lenses.
Underwater photographer Maya Almeida interviewed
- Senegal begins marine conservation project (via BBC)
- Atmospheric CO2 reaches 400 parts per million (via BBC)
- More information about possibilities for Lightroom and the… (via )
- Call for entries: 2013 National Geographic Traveller photo… (via )
- New nudibranch, crinoid and amphipods discovered in Madang… (via )
- Lundy Island, UK hosts splash-in photographic contest (via )
- NHK and Mitsubishi develop H.265 encoder for 8K video (via )
- Tony Wu’s blog on capturing the red snapper spawning… (via )
- Spring issue of Alert Diver available now (via )
- Tony Wu’s sea lion shots are cute overload (via )