Call for entries: Ocean Art 2014
The 2014 Ocean Art Contest is calling for entries. They are seeking entries in 12 categories, including NoviceDSLR and 3 compact camera ones. Entries are open now and the deadline is 19 November 2014.
Fotomagico announces 4K support
Boinx has released a significant update to its Photomagico slideshow creation software. Version 4.5 has added been optimized for 4K. It can now be viewed at 4K resolution on suitable monitors or UHD TVs. It also has export presets for 4K.
Think Tank releases Urban Disguise 60 classic
Think Tank are celebrating their ten year anniversary and a long time favorite of many underwater photographers, the Urban Disguise 60 shoulder bag, has been updated and refined in a new Classic version. The bag has enough capacity for a camera body, several lenses and two strobes, as well as accessories. The Classic version has leather accents and panels, and now features separate compartments for a laptop and a tablet.
Video: Sperm whale birth by Kurt Amsler
Enormous red tide off Northwest Florida
An enormous, and potentially devastating, red tide is now forming off the coast of Pensacola, Florida. The area where the algae is blooming is approximately 60 miles by 100 miles.
Results: Eilat Red Sea and World Shoot Out 2014
The Eilat Red Sea and World Shoot Outs concluded last Sunday 13 September with an award ceremony held in Eilat. 67 participants from 9 countries competed for prizes in nine categories during the actual shoot out, whilst the World Shoot Out attracted online entries from all over the world. The shoot out also hosted an attempt for the world’s largest live-streamed underwater event.
Appeal: Water filters for Hurricane Odile survivors
Hurricane Odile has cut a swath through Baja, causing large amounts of flooding and disrupting travel and infrastructure. Wetpixel’s friends, Solmar V are responding by providing portable water filters to those left without safe drinking water. They are seeking donations to help sustain this, please visit their Waves for Water fundraising page to assist their efforts.
Filmmaker Martin Dohrn creates special camera to film bioluminescence
- Stolen photo wins photo contest (via )
- First underwater video of apes swimming (via )
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )