Now available: Wetpixel Whale sharks 2014
We have now finalized our plans for our Wetpixel Whale Shark trips for 2014. The dates of the trips are 26 July to 1 August followed by 1 to 7 August. They will be based on the island of Isla Mujeres, Mexico, which is a short ferry ride from Cancun. The annual whale shark ((Rhincodon typus) aggregation that occurs here is quite simply one of the most amazing spectacles in the oceans and if you haven’t been yet, you really should!
Call for entries: Beneath the Sea 2014
The annual Beneath the Sea (BTS) International Imaging competition is calling for entries. It has three major categories: The David Doubilet award for underwater photography, the Stan Waterman award for underwater videography and the Jim Church award for creative underwater photography.
CM custom diffusers available
Clark Miller has announced the commercial release of his custom dome diffuser range. These are available for Inon, Ikelite and Sea & Sea strobes and in opacities suitable for either wide-angle or macro photography
Shark Savers and WildAid to merge
Conservation organizations, Shark Savers and WildAid, have joined forces. The merger will allow the pooling of their resources into campaigns to stop shark finning and shark conservation, and increased efficiency of operations.
Scuba diver caught smuggling marijuana
A Canadian scuba diver was caught early monday morning attempting to smuggle eight pounds of marijuana into the United States via the St. Clair river.
Memory card survives 8 months underwater
A hobbyist photographer’s camera and memory card were snagged by an alligator he was photographing. Thinking the camera was lost forever, he was shocked when eight months later a gator came out of the pond with the lost camera wrapped around his leg. Even more surprising was the fact that the memory card worked after all that time.
New research into Yucatan whale shark movements
Canon announces 4 new compact models
Canon has announced 4 new compact cameras in its PowerShot range. Key new models for underwater use are the G16 and the S120. Both cameras feature improved AF performance and DIGIC 6 image processors with a 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensors.
- Call for entries: San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition 2013 (via )
- Hugyfot releases new housings for Nikon D600 and Sony Action Cam (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.0.8 (via )
- Behance ProSite has been added to Adobe’s Creative Cloud (via )
- Photoshelter and the ASMP present a photographer’s guide to… (via )
- ASMFC seeks to allow shark finning in US waters (via )
- The Natural History Museum launches Deep Sea ID iPhone and iPad… (via )
- DPReview posts a review of the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera (via )
- James Cameron’s submersible donated to Woods Hole (via BBC)
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )