Call for entries: BigPicture 2016
The BigPicture Natural World Photography Contest is calling for entries. There are numerous categories, including one for “Aquatic Life” and a portfolio contest on Coral Reefs. Entries are open now, and close on 31 March. There is a a discounted entry fee available until 14 February.
Report: BOOT Show 2016
The BOOT show is the world’s largest watersports show. Among the 14 giant halls that the show occupies at Messe Dusseldorf, Germany, is hall 3, which plays host to the scuba diving industry. Further tucked into this space are exhibitors showing underwater imaging gear. Check out Wetpixel’s live reports from the event.
Canon announces EOS 1D X Mark II
Behind the Shot: Konrad Malek
Paul Allen’s mega yacht destroys large percentage of protected reef in Cayman Islands
The 300-foot mega yacht of Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, MV Tatoosh, reportedly dragged its anchor and destroyed 80 percent of a protected reef in the Cayman Islands. The reef, known as the West Bay Replenishment Zone, has been protected for 30 years.
Olympus announces the PEN-F
Olympus has announced the PEN F mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features retro styling, based on the original PEN-F that was released in 1963. The new camera has a 20MP sensor, 5 axis image stabilization and a OLED viewfinder. It claims the fastest shutter release time of any compact and several AF modes.
Borneo from Below: Episode 24
Episode 24 of Borneo from Below has been published online. This week they focus on a member of the Scuba Junkie team, Simon Lloyd, who is former police officer turned divemaster in Borneo.
Adobe updates Lightroom to 6.4/CC 2015.4
Adobe has launched a significant update to Lightroom. Version 6.4/CC 2015.4 significantly improves performance with editing updates being applied much more quickly and 1:1 previews being preemptively built. There has also been improvements to the Panorama Merge function (in CC version only) and the user can select the location that Lightroom Mobile images are stored in.
- Seahorses growl when stressed study shows (via )
- Artist Nathaniel Stern and his team make underwater scans (via )
- Japan’s prime minister confirms whale hunt to resume in… (via )
- Nikon NX-D software to be released for free in a week (via )
- Stunning school of mobula rays NG photo of the day (via )
- New TSA rules require batteries to be charged before flights (via )
- Issue 79 of Underwater Photography magazine available to download (via )
- Issue 61 of X-Ray magazine available to download (via )
- Fish are smart and feel pain (via )
- Milking a venomous stonefish (via )