Study shows the power of computational lens corrections
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part two
Image: Dragging the Shutter by John Chandler
John Chandler posted this image on the Wetpixel Facebook group. It is perhaps a salutary reminder that good technique can often create images when ambient conditions make this difficult or impossible to do conventionally. John entitled the image “Dragging the Shutter” which is also how he managed to capture it.
Google+ improves its RAW conversion
Google+ has improved its RAW to JPEG conversion process. For about a year, it has been possible to upload image files, including RAW files, onto the Google+ servers to act as a backup. In order to view these files, they must be converted to JPEG. Google’s acquisition of Nik Photography has allowed them to fine-tune the conversion process with, what the company states, are improved results.
Video: Whale Fantasia
GoPro’s video of the day for 26 September featured free divers with mono fins, the voice of Alan Watts and humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). It was filmed in Tonga, and parts of the film were used by the company in the original promo video that accompanied the HERO3’s release.
Lightroom tutorials updated
Doug Sloss’s Lightroom for the Underwater Photographer has been updated to incorporate the changes and new features that have been released with Lightroom 5. The tutorials, which total 15 hours of instruction, now cover the use of both Lightroom 4 and 5 and are available as downloads, rather than on memory sticks as they were previously.
Nauticam introduces the NA-70D housing
Nauticam’s housing for the Canon EOS 70D will be shipping from 1 October. It features a new vacuum seal check and leak detection system as standard as well as many of the features that were introduced with the NA-6D, although the ISO control has now been moved onto a paddle lever on the side of the housing.
Tickets available for San Diego Underwater Film Festival
The San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition (SDUFEX) is being held on 11 and 12 October in the Qualcomm Hall, San Diego, California. 30 films will be shown and the event’s Masters of Ceremonies are Howard and Michelle Hall.
- Panasonic releases the DMC-GF6 mirrorless camera (via )
- RED performs live Dragon sensor upgrades at NAB (via )
- Redrock unveils its Cobalt cage for the GoPro HERO3 (via )
- RED announces its Motion mount. Stops CMOS rolling shutter issues (via )
- Study discusses how ghost horned crabs change color for… (via )
- DxOMark tests lenses for Canon 5D Mark III (via )
- Florida manatee death toll continues to rise (via )
- Scubapro launches the Waterman Award contest (via )
- Adobe to release a major upgrade to its Production Premium… (via )
- Pre-NAB: Canon announced firmware update for EOS C500 and C500PL… (via )