The Nikonos Project: Borrow a camera for free
Many underwater photographers started out their careers shooting with film on the Nikonos family of cameras and still have a fondness for them. One such photographer, Brandon Jennings, has turned his fondness into a hobby and a worldwide project. The Nikonos Project seeks to get the 35mm film cameras into the hands of photographers around the world, for free, to shoot and share with others.
Sony announces HXR-NX100 camcorder
Video: Sogod Bay in 4K
This weeks Earth Touch Wild Oceans episode is from Sogod Bay, southern Philippines. Filmed in 4K, cameraman Stewart Whitfield shows the beauty of this dive and the incredible quality of the reef. Look out for damselfish, masked porcupinefish, a magnificently camouflaged spiny devilfish and soft corals.
Spaces available: Raja Ampat September 2016
GoPro announces HERO+ LCD
Asus announces 100% Adobe RGB monitor
Asus has announced a 4K/UHD monitor that can display the whole Adobe RGB color space. Engadget reports that the PA329Q monitor also has a 16-bit look up table and support for the BT2020 / DCI-P3 video color space. It is pre-calibrated but also offers the “highest compatibility with hardware calibration devices”.
Video: Palau’s Paradise: Ocean Wonders Worth Protecting
Google announces Photos App
Google has released details of their new standalone Photos app. This allows unlimited free online storage for images at up to 16MP resolution and videos up to 1080p. If required, Google offers storage of up 100GB at $1.99/month and 1TB at $9.99/month that will allow users to store images at higher resolutions.
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )
- Great Barrier Reef sediment dump approved (via )
- Olympus releases firmware version 2.0 for OM-D E-M5 (via )
- NRDC goes to court over Navy sonar testing (via )
- NG photo of walrus underwater (via )
- U.S. ambassador decries Taiji dolphin hunt (via )