Image: Fish fireworks by Jennifer Penner
Happy New Year 2014
We hope that wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are not like this “grumpy” stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) and are enjoying the last day of 2013 or the first day of 2014. May your celebrations be joyous and we fervently hope that 2014 brings you safe diving and and amazing photographic opportunities.
Gates announces DEEP DRAGON
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the RED EPIC DRAGON digital cinema camera. The Gates DEEP DRAGON features a housing for the RED PRO external monitor and uses the REDMOTE remote control to give access to all camera controls. In addition, it can be supplied with integrated tripod legs, an extended monitor shade and a light bar to attach light arms.
Upgrade guide: Final Cut Pro 10.1
As announced and discussed on the Wetpixel forums, Apple released a long-awaited update to Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) just before Christmas. Version 10.1 is a free update for those that have already purchased the App, and is available via the App Store or via the Apple FCP support pages.
Guam’s Hidden Treasures book available
UW robot cameras disguised as sea creatures
Wildlife filmmaker John Downer has a new wildlife documentary series titled Dolphins: Spy in the Pod. The series not only promises never before filmed behavior, but also employs underwater robotic cameras disguised as sea creatures.
Happy holidays 2013
Wishing the Wetpixel community very happy, restful and enjoyable holidays. 2013 has been an amazing year for me and I feel incredibly fortunate to have met, dived and taken pictures with many of you. Our annual “Favorite Image of the Year” thread is in full swing on the forums right now, and represents an amazing gathering of talent and opportunity. If you haven’t added your own images yet, I would urge you to do so soon.
Nauticam housing for BM Pocket Cinema Camera
Nauticam has released further details of their housing for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. The camera offers 1080p recording in a CinemaDNG RAW format with 13 stops of exposure range. The NA-BMPCC housing has handles with a 15° tilt, and controls easily accessible from them. In addition, new port is available offering manual focus on the 7-14mm and 12-35mm lenses, and an optional additional battery pack can also be supplied.
- Canon is pursuing multi-layer Foveon-style sensor design (via )
- Environmental Photographer of the Year 2013 Exhibition (via )
- Texas shark fin ban passes house and fizzles in senate (via )
- Researchers: Penguins sacrificed ability to fly for gift of… (via BBC)
- Nikon posts firmware updates for D300, D300S, D700 AND P7700… (via )
- Delaware bans shark fins (via )
- DxOMark tests lenses for the Nikon D600 (via )
- Think Tank Photo releases massive Logistics Manager 30 rolling… (via )
- Air Pacific/Fiji Air exposed as shark fin trafficker (via )
- Adobe releases Camera Raw release candidate 8.1 (via )