Final call: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year (WPOTY) contest for 2014 closes for entries on 27 February at 12.00pm GMT. It offers a specific category entitled “Underwater Species” as well as categories that focus on “Earth’s Environments” and “World in Our Hands.”
Nikon unveils the D4s SLR
Nikon has released an updated version of their D4 full frame pro SLR. Labelled the D4s, the camera features several refinements over its sibling, namely more processing power, autofocus refinements (including a new “group AF” mode), faster continuous shooting, and enhanced video features (including 1080/60p support). In addition, it has a new smaller sized Raw format option to speed workflow and an improvement in battery life.
Underwater portraits of Shakespeare actors
Job opportunity at DivePhotoGuide
Our friends over at DivePhotoGuide are looking for new staff team members. They are looking for seeking underwater photographers that have a basic understanding of the industry and are constantly on the look out for news about underwater imaging. They should also be able to write articles and have some free time available.
Indonesia announces manta sanctuary
Call for entries: Australasia Underwater Photo Competition
The 2014 Australasia Underwater Photo Competition is now calling for entries. It is being held in conjunction with ADEX China and offers five categories for images taken in the Asia-Pacific region. It is free to enter.
Nauticam ships housing for GX7
Nauticam is shipping their housing for the Panasonic DMC-GX7 mirrorless camera. The NA-GX7 is shipping with their vacuum leak detection system and has “one-handed” access to both command dials, video record and EV adjustment. Nauticam also offer port support the majority of lens options for underwater use.
Recsea announces housing for EOS-70D
Recsea has released details and images of their housing for the Canon EOS-70D SLR camera. The RDH-C70D is CNC machined from aluminum and offers control of all camera functions. Recsea offers a range of ports, zoom/focus gears, adaptors and extension rings to support many lens options.
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )
- Brunei institutes Asia’s first nationwide shark fin ban (via )
- Chagos marine park in Indian Ocean ruled lawful (via BBC)
- Bioluminescent sand Avatar in real life (via )
- Apple announces new Mac Pros (via )
- Issue 11 of Anima Mundi is now available to download (via )
- Coral reefs devastated by climate change (via )
- Scientific American: The effects of climate change on coral reefs (via )
- Apple updates Aperture to version 3.4.5 (via )
- Great Barrier Reef Youtube live event now! (via )