Video: The Bulls of BAD by Howard Hall
Howard Hall has posted a stunning short film featuring the bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas) of the Beqa Lagoon, Fiji onto Vimeo Featuring footage shot in 5K, Howard describes that the site sometimes gets around 100 bull sharks at one time, and that the sharks are so numerous that they chase the tiger sharks ((Galeocerdo cuvier) off!
Last chance to enter The Great Outdoors photo contest
ROV encounters sperm whale
The Nautilus Expedition has set out and is currently investigating the effects of natural gas seeps that occur in the Gulf of Mexico. The expedition is using ROVs to gather samples and data from the water column. During one of the vehicle’s dives, the ROV encountered a sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) at 598m (1,962 ft). The animal was curious, circling the vehicle and its TMS a few times before moving off.
FIX ships the Neo 1500 DX SWR light
FIX has announced their new Neo 1500 DX SWR light’s specifications. Billed as a video, focus or macro light in one package, it features a 100° or 30° 1500 lumen beam that can be stepped in 25% or 1% increments and switched to a red mode. Its batteries can be swapped, or charged via external charging points as required.
World’s first eight armed underwater photographer
Meet “The Octographer”, an eight armed underwater photographer trained by Sony to photograph aquarium visitors to New Zealand’s SEA LIFE aquarium.
SharkBase seeks citizen shark scientists
Blackmagic Design announces new products
Blackmagic Design has announced a slew of new products. They have updated their URSA camera Mini version, offering 15 stops of dynamic range and 4.6K sensor options. Also new is the Micro Cinema camera, which is designed for “remote shooting”, for which I read underwater! The company are offering a monitoring/recording solution called the Blackmagic Video Assist and have updated Fusion and DaVinci Resolve.
RED announces 8K Weapon Vista Vision camera
- New jellyfish species washes ashore in Tasmania (via )
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )
- Great Barrier Reef sediment dump approved (via )
- Olympus releases firmware version 2.0 for OM-D E-M5 (via )
- NRDC goes to court over Navy sonar testing (via )
- NG photo of walrus underwater (via )