Here’s your chance to name a new species of nudibranch
A new species of nudibranch has been discovered off the coast of Western Australia and the Western Australia Museum and RN’s Off Track want your help in naming the species. Dr. Nerida Wilson discovered the critter while scuba diving off the north-western portion of WA. The genus name of the nudibranch is Moridilla, so the chosen species name will have to go with that genus name.
Gates releases housing for Canon ME20 low light camera
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the Canon ME20F-SH low light camera. It is integrated with the Transvision StarliteHD OLED monitor in the Gates Starlite ST5 housing. The system is designed to offer the ability to capture low light scenes using natural lighting underwater like coral spawning, natural bioluminescence and predator activity at night.
Quebec tourists are treated to an up close and personal fin whale encounter
A boat of whale watching tourists had an up close and personal encounter with a fin whale this past week in Quebec, Canada. The group of whale watchers were observing a pair of fin whales swimming parallel to their boat when one resurfaced, with mouth agape, right next to their boat, submerging at the last minute. The moment was captured in two different simultaneous videos.
WDC publishes guide to responsible whale and dolphin watching
Australian Great White Sharks by Don Silcock
Call for entries: Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship
The Florida Skin Divers Association is calling for entries to the Florida State Underwater Photo & Video Championship, the results of which will be announced at the 2016 Guy Harvey Lionfish Safari. The contest offers over $8,000 in prizes and entry categories for images from Florida waters including: Macro, wide angle, compact camera, video and lionfish removal video. The deadline for entries is 26 August.
Exposure labs is still seeking UW photographers to help with coral bleaching video
Underwater Photography Masterclass available in the U.S.A.
- Seal rescued from snowbank in Maine (via )
- Dolphin is second animal to die at SeaWorld in two weeks (via )
- Time to migrate your photos from Aperture (via )
- Seattle aquarium octopus makes a break for it (via )
- Photos of world’s smallest life forms (via )
- GoPro competitor from Chinese company Xiaomi (via )
- Algae helps coral survive in the hottest reefs on the planet (via )
- California beach turns white from unusual hail (via )
- Twenty20 is the world’s largest crowdsourced stock photo… (via )
- A tour of the Atlantis underwater suite Dubai (via )