Basking sharks return to British waters
Basking sharks have been seen off British waters in increasing and consistent numbers during the summer months, but scientists are still uncertain where the large fish head in the winter. The full Guardian article outlines the history of these magnificent creatures in British waters.
Retra announces the uTrigger
Retra has announced a new underwater remote trigger that works wirelessly through housing walls. It consists of a internal sensor and a wireless external unit that is attached to a push button remote by wire. It works with both AF and manual focus settings and the trigger can be locked to make long exposures.
Video: Mucky Secrets by Nick Hope
Sea & Sea announces the RDX-100D housing
Sea & Sea has announced the release of a polycarbonate housing for the Canon EOS EOS Rebel SL1/100D. The RDX-100D can be fitted with Sea & Sea’s internal YS TTL convertor although it is supplied with 2 fiber optic ports as standard. It also features a redesigned focus/zoom control and is compatible with the company’s magnified viewfinders.
Trip thread for Wetpixel Lembeh Macro Workshop
Wetpixel’s Lembeh Macro Workshop is about to kick off at Lembeh Resort. 31 Photographers from around the world are gathering to experience 10 days of tuition into the “dark” art of macro photography delivered by Wetpixel Associate Editor Alex Mustard around the iconic dive sites of the world capital of muck diving, Lembeh Straits. The event starts on Saturday, and Wetpixel Editor, Adam Hanlon is also on hand to support Alex, and to give you “live” commentary over on the trip’s thread on the forum.
Underwater panoramic camera used to document reefs
National aquarium moves from DC to Baltimore
The government is not the only thing in D.C. to shutdown this week. The National Aquarium is closing it’s doors and becoming a basement walkway, displacing approximately 2,500 aquatic residents.
Nikon unveils the D610
Nikon has announced its D610 FX SLR camera. Widely rumoured to be a solution for the sensor oil spotting problem that occurred with the D600, there are actually only three new features on it. A new shutter mechanism allows for 6fps continuous shooting and a quiet continuous mode at 3fps. It also features an improved white balance system.
- Call for entries: 2013 National Geographic Traveller photo… (via )
- New nudibranch, crinoid and amphipods discovered in Madang… (via )
- Lundy Island, UK hosts splash-in photographic contest (via )
- NHK and Mitsubishi develop H.265 encoder for 8K video (via )
- Tony Wu’s blog on capturing the red snapper spawning… (via )
- Spring issue of Alert Diver available now (via )
- Tony Wu’s sea lion shots are cute overload (via )
- U.S. to protect endangered Loggerhead habitat (via )
- 20 Florida manatees want you to adopt them (via )
- Florida legislature fails to protect manatees (via )