Yap Pacific World Shoot Out 2013 announced
Yap Pacific Dive resort has announced that it will be running the Yap Pacific World Shoot Out from 15 August. Also entitled “The World’s Best UW Photo”, the contest is based around a public vote on Facebook.
Cayman Islands Underwater Photography Competition announced
The Cayman Islands Tourist Authority (CITA) is hosting its Underwater Photography Competition in conjunction with the 9th Annual International Underwater Film Festival. The photography competition is open to anyone, professional or amateur and local or visitor who wishes to submit photos to be considered in the contest. All entries must have been taken in the Cayman Islands.
Wetsuit patterned like lionfish to deter sharks
A company has created a wetsuit patterned like a venomous lionfish to deter sharks. Experts have doubts whether it will work.
Thresher sharks stun prey with tail slaps
A paper in the journal PLoS ONE about the hunting strategies of pelagic thresher sharks (Alopias pelagicus) has shown that the animals do use their tales to stun prey. The behavior was investigated at Pescador Island in the Philippines over 5 months in 2010, using a video camera to record the predation. (Image from Shutterstock)
Join Wetpixel in Komodo in 2014
Wetpixel is running two trips to unexplored South Komodo aboard the luxury liveaboard, The Seven Seas, in early 2014. The southern sites of Komodo National Park offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, huge schools of fish, and fascinating macro life. Wetpixel trips specialize in making the most of these stunning opportunities for photographers.
Deadline extended: SDUFEX
The 2013 San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition has extended its deadline for entries to 29 July 2013.
Rehabilitated orca spotted with calf
Springer, the Orca that was rescued and rehabilitated off the coast of Seattle in 2002, has been spotted with a calf near Vancouver Island. The sighting comes eleven years after the orphaned calf was reunited with her pod.
Divers discover ancient underwater forest
- The Natural History Museum launches Deep Sea ID iPhone and iPad… (via )
- DPReview posts a review of the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera (via )
- James Cameron’s submersible donated to Woods Hole (via BBC)
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )
- Thom Hogan reviews the Sony NEX-6 camera (via )
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)
- Adobe suggests customers should fly to the US to get better… (via )
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )