Recsea announces housing for GoPro
Recsea has announced the released the details of their housing for the GoPro Hero3 and HERO3+ POV cams. Machined from aluminum, the housing has a depth rating of 200 m (650 ft.), and is designed to accommodate an LCD or Battery BacPac.
Image: Yann Oulia’s humpback whale
Review: Nauticam Electronic Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System
Vacuum leak detection systems have been very much the desired accessory for housing owners for 2013. Steve and Jeff Williams have been using an early prototype of Nauticam’s new Electronic Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System since the Wetpixel Isla Mujeres Whale Shark trip in August. This extended trial has enabled them to become familiar with the system and to comment on their experiences with it.
Aditech announces their MVHS-FS700 housing
Aditech has unveiled their new Mangrove housing for the Sony NEX-F700 and FS100 camcorders. The MVHS-FS700 features a control system that uses the camera’s LANC control. The controls are all accessed via 12 external push buttons and give user feedback via the camera’s touch screen.
Call for entries: Beneath the Sea 2014
Beneath the Sea is calling for entries for its 2014 international underwater imaging contest. Competition categories include: General/Marine Life, Green/Cold Water, Macro/Close-up, Underwater Behavior, Conservation, Novice and Creative and the deadline for entries is 31 December 2013.
The making of an image: Night Moves by Alex Mustard
Betrayal: New video by Blue Sphere Media
Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser have released a new short film titled Betrayal. The story line of the film centers on a betrayed woman (Fraser) who has given up and plunges into the sea. She is met by a humpback whale calf who swims with her and ultimately restores her hope and faith.
Video: UW Photographer swatted by Humpback
Underwater photographer Chris Coates got a little too close for comfort with a Humpback whale and her calf while filming off the east coast of Africa. Fortunately neither party was injured from the quick encounter. Image from Shutterstock.
- This is what a beach covered in walruses looks like (via )
- Nick Brandt’s new book of calcified animals (via )
- How to remove people and cars from your time-lapse (via )
- Scientists warn that ocean conservation efforts may be misplaced (via BBC)
- Researchers develop miniature wide-angle lens (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine now available to download (via )
- Fluid filled lens mimics traits of human vision (via )
- More Nikon 1 AW1 coverage (via )
- The Blenny Challenge week 5 (via )
- Impressive time lapse of Costa Concordia righting (via )