Call for entries: Out of the Blue
The Out of the Blue Marine Photography competition, run by The Prince of Wales’s International Sustainability Unit and the Royal Commonwealth Society is calling for entries. The purpose of the contest is to showcase the importance of our marine environment, the value it brings and the threats it is facing. The contest is open for entries now and closes on Sunday 6 September.
Call for entries: Monterey Shootout 2015
The Northern California Underwater Photographic Society is calling for entries to the 2015 Monterey Shootout. The event is being held from 7 to 9 August and registration is now only $25. This entry fee grants entry into the competition as well as its associated cocktail party and seminars.
Video: Turtle chases divers
Kenko offers new teleconverters for Canon EF lenses
RED software update version 6 adds still capture
Interview: Benjamin Von Wong - Underwater river image
Benjamin Von Wong has become an internet photography phenom with his viral images, including some taken underwater. Earlier this month he released his latest photograph, Underwater River, that took him and his team 30m below the surface into a cenote, just above an underwater river of hydrogen sulfide. Here is Wetpixel’s exclusive interview with Von Wong to find out how he got the shot.
Video: Tiger shark mouths hydrophone
The team at the RJ Dunlap Marine Conservation Program, based at the University of Miami, have been placing hydrophones around Tiger Beach, Grand Bahama. These allow them to track tiger sharks (Galeocerdo cuvier), once these have had a transmitter implanted within their abdomens. The video shows a shark gently investigating a hydrophone
Video: A turtle eye view of the Great Barrier Reef
The WWF, along with other partners, is working to find out how pollution levels affect sea turtles living in the Great Barrier Reef. Part of the project included strapping a GoPro temporarily to the back of one of the resident sea turtles to give a turtle eye view of the reef.
- David Doubilet split shot NG photo of the day (via )
- Are we using too much Photoshop? (via )
- 325 million year old shark fossil discovered (via )
- Scientists solve case of CA red abalone die off (via )
- Eyefi launches cloud service, photos everywhere immediately (via )
- Daniel Botelho on assignment for NG (via )
- Pixels.com puts photographers in charge for a change (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX to 2.4.7 (via )
- Jamaica reports decline in lionfish after national campaign (via )
- Humpback whales surf pipeline (via )