Live reports: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015
The 2015 series of Wetpixel Whale sharks trips are starting tomorrow, with folks gathering from around the world to snorkel with and film or photograph the large numbers of whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) that gather off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We will be reporting “live” from Isla Mujeres over the next three weeks, hopefully bringing a flavor of this amazing trip to those of you that can’t be here. Please keep checking back for updates each day.
DAN Europe testing underwater drone
Video: Dolphin Army by Simon Buxton
Wetpixel member Simon Buxton has posted some amazing footage of a huge pod of common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) as it makes it’s way up the East African coast each year in the search of sardines. He invites us to “follow them for a short part of this journey to see what they find.”
Video: Howard Hall’s Baskers
Call for entries: Festival Mondiale de l’Image Sous Marine
Call for entries: Neapolis International Underwater Photo contest
The Nepalis International Underwater Photo contest is calling for entries. Neapolis, in association with the Tourism and Culture Department of the City of Naples, will hold a photographic exhibition of the competition winning works. There are categories for Advanced and Novice entrants in both Mediterranean and Other Seas classes. The deadline for submissions is 21 September.
Image: Ornate ghost pipefish by Ilan Lubitz
Nauticam ships housing for Sony RX100 IV
Nauticam is shipping their new housing for the Sony RX100 IV compact camera. To allow the housing to be used with gloves, a mechanical shutter release extension is supplied with every housing. It also provides access to all camera controls and has both M14 and M16 ports. The port has 67mm threads and it has fiber optic bulkheads for strobe triggering.
- How to edit underwater images…. (via )
- X-Ray magazine issue 60 available to download (via )
- Wolffish by David Doubilet NG photo of the day (via )
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 78 is available (via )
- Blue footed booby population declines in Galapagos (via )
- Seals in Farne Islands filmed with GoPro (via )
- Dead blue whale could explode soon (via )
- Nikon updates D4s firmware to C:1.01 (via )
- How plastic bags end up in ocean garbage patches (via )
- Up to 32 percent of seafood in US caught illegally (via )