2014 Ocean Art Competition winners announced
Nikon announces the D5500 SLR camera
Nikon has announced the release of the D5500 SLR camera. It features the 24.2-million pixels, a Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor, and the EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. Native ISO is from 100 to 25600. Although not of use particularly for underwater image makers, it also has a tilting touch screen LCD control and built-in wifi.
Ikelite announces magnifying viewfinders
Ikelite has announced the mid-January release of two magnifying viewfinders for their housings. The two models are a straight and a 45° version. The 45° viewfinder has two versions, one with more clearance for housings that have controls that stick out more.
Por el planeta photo competition now open for entries
Por el planeta wildlife, nature and conservation photo competition is now open for entries. The competition is convened by Mexico, but is open to entrants around the world. With over $300,000 US in prizes, including a $100,000 prize for first place, this is a photo competition not to miss.
Call for posts: Favourite image of 2014
Last call for entries: UPY London
Video: Joel Grimes on pricing
Pro advertising photographer Joel Grimes has posted a video giving some hints about pricing images and assignments onto YouTube. Perhaps the most telling sentence is: “At the end of a job, if you have a smile on your face, you have done it right. If you had a smile on your face, you know…. I made a chunk on money on that, it was worth it…”
Happy New Year 2015
Wishing the whole Wetpixel community a very happy (Gregorian) New Year. We hope that you are having/have had an enjoyable day and will have suitable festivities this evening. May 2015 bring you safe diving and travel, plentiful subjects and much pleasure.
- LaCie announces 4K external hard drive (via )
- Underwater polar bear by Paul Souders (via )
- First bluefin tuna sold in Japan in 2014 goes for 70k (via )
- Crab grabs GoPro (via )
- Something’s fishy with SeaWorld’s blackfish poll (via )
- Issue 58 of X-Ray magazine available to download (via )
- January/February edition of UwP magazine is available to download (via )
- Shark photobombs two surfers (via )
- 100-year old negatives found in Antarctic (via )
- Canon releases firmware update for C500 (via )