Hong Kong bans shark fin at official functions
EOS-1D C gains tier 1 EBC approval
The Canon EOS-1D C has been tested and passed European Broadcasting Union (EBU) approval for tier one HD production. It is the first SLR to provide an image of high enough quality for use as a broadcast production tool.
Call for entrants: SoCal Shootout
The annual SoCal Shootout is calling for entrants. The event will be held over this coming weekend (13-15 September) and will accept entries from any registered photographers and videographers that have been shot from south of Point Conception and north of the Mexico border. Full registration details are available on the event’s website.
NG photographer Paul Nicklen and the leopard seal
National Geographic underwater photographer Paul Nicklen’s infamous encounter with a leopard seal is going viral on the internet. Check out the video if you haven’t heard his impressive description of the encounter before.
Samy’s releases fiber optic adaptors
Samy’s Camera Underwater Photo & Video has announced the release of an adaptor for Nauticam fiber optic ports. Made by XIT404, the adapters allow the use of any cable with Nauticam housings.
Adobe introduces updates for its video editing apps
Adobe has announced a series of updates to its Creative Cloud video editing apps at the IBC show. These include a major overhaul of compatible video formats, which now include native support for 4K. The updates are “free” to Creative Cloud subscribers and will be available in October.
The Blennywatcher Diary: September 2013
During August, Ned and Anna DeLoach have been hard at work studying and cataloging the marine inhabitants of the dive sites of Bonaire. Highlights have included spawning Christmas Tree and Feather duster worms as well as lots of sightings of gobies.
Olympus launches flagship OM-D E-M1 camera
Olympus has announced details of its new OM-D E-M1 flagship mirrorless camera. It has a 16 Megapixel Live MOS sensor with version VII of the TruePic image processor and Olympus claims superior AF performance due to its DUAL FAST AF system, which uses either phase or contrast detection depending on what lens is fitted. Lastly, it has a full magnification electronic viewfinder.
- DPReview publishes an in-depth review of the Nikon D7100 (via )
- Adobe offers $30 discount off Lightroom 4, Photoshop Elements… (via )
- DIVE magazine May issue now available (via )
- Over 3,000 jellyfish on display in China (via BBC)
- Citizen scientists catalog North Sea life (via BBC)
- Report finds that 85% of reefs in the coral triangle under threat (via )
- Happy World Penguin Day! (via )
- Fstoppers publishes “Creating a Successful Photography… (via )
- Issue 54 of X-Ray Magazine is available to download (via )
- New Caledonia creates shark sanctuary (via )