Extinct megamouth species identified
50 years after discovering a set of teeth belonging to an undescribed species of ‘Megamouth’ related shark, scientists have determined that a new species of shark has been found. Although the species name is still to be decided, the genus is Megachasma.
Wetpixel Lembeh Workshop slideshow
Wetpixel’s Lembeh Macro Workshop was an outstanding success! The results of the workshop are being continuously updated by the participants in the dedicated thread on the forum, but trip leader Alex Mustard has also produced an end of workshop slideshow, which showcases the participant’s work and gives some “behind the scenes” flavor to the event.
Name your own blenny
Anna DeLoach reports that researcher Dr. Petter Wirtz is offering individuals the chance to have a new blenny species named after them. He has discovered a new species in the Azores, and in order to fund his return to the islands to obtain another specimen, is auctioning off the opportunity to name the fish.
Gates releases housing for Canon XA25
Gates Underwater Products has released details and renderings of their upcoming housing for the Canon XA25, XA20 and HGF30 camcorders. It has mechanical controls, a side window for viewing the camera’s LCD and full camera menu access via the Canon remote control.
Nauticam announces D610 compatibility
Aditech illuminates their MVS-8L12 video light
Aditech has announced the release of their new Mangrove MVS-8L12 video light. These features a new purpose designed LED module that emits 9120 lumens at a color temperature of 5000°K. The lights have a 130° beam and can run for 65 minutes at full power.
Recsea announces housing for GoPro
Recsea has announced the released the details of their housing for the GoPro Hero3 and HERO3+ POV cams. Machined from aluminum, the housing has a depth rating of 200 m (650 ft.), and is designed to accommodate an LCD or Battery BacPac.
Image: Yann Oulia’s humpback whale
- BBC revisits Final Cut Pro X (via )
- Canon produces its 90 millionth EF lens (via )
- Canon offers rebates on the EOS 5D, 6D and 7D SLRs (via )
- Pistol shrimp filmed in super slow motion (via )
- Canon EOS 50D shoots RAW video (via )
- Thom Hogan on the rumors of Olympus’s demise in 2014 (via )
- Vincent Laforet shoots RED 5K infra red with MoVI steadicam (via )
- Canon posts 4K C300 video explaining lens choices (via )
- Canon is pursuing multi-layer Foveon-style sensor design (via )
- Environmental Photographer of the Year 2013 Exhibition (via )