Seacam Hotshoe pin configuration
Wetpixel readers have discussed in detail an issue where, when shooting with two strobes, Nikon D2x files are not written to the camera. The solution consists of removing all hotshoe pins, except for the trigger pin. Please read the full article for a detailed explanation with figures.
Wetpixel.com/DivePhotoGuide Photo Contest
We’re just one month away from the deadline for Wetpixel.com and DivePhotoGuide.com’s 2006 International Photo Competition! There are dozens of amazing prizes lined up, including:
- trips to Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, the Socorros, Galapagos, Bora Bora, Solomon Islands, Palau, and the Bahamas
- dive and photo and dive gear from Aquatica, Fantasea, Ikelite, Epoque, Nocturnal Lights, MCD, Ultralight, Backscatter, and Underwater Photo-Tech
- dive-related media from ScubaCore, Wyland, Takako Uno and Stephen Wong, Scott Tuason, Fathoms Magazine, Ocean Realm Journal, Dive Chronicles, and TheUnderwaterPhotographer.com
Winners will be announced on stage at the 2006 Our World-Underwater festival in Chicago, Illinois (February 24-26, 2006). February 3rd is a hard deadline, so get your entries submitted!
UwP Magazine #28
UwP Magazine issue 28 is now available for download. It includes an article by our very own Dr. Alex Mustard, coverage of Sea Shepherd’s anti-whaling campaign in Antarctica, numerous equipment reviews, and more. UwP is absolutely free, and is worth every minute of its download time.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Happy New Year, photographers! I can’t thank everyone enough for being part of such a fantastic, global community. Here’s to yet another year of learning through comraderie!
Undersea Explorer tags tiger shark
On Saturday 10th December, researchers onboard Undersea Explorer tagged a 2.8m male Tiger Shark (“Adam”) near Raine Island in Far North Queensland. The shark was the seventh Tiger shark tagged during the project, which is a collaboration between Digital Dimensions, CSIRO, and Undersea Explorer. And—very exciting: for all of us out here on the web, Adam’s movements can be tracked online.
Vote for the new Picture of the Week
Our new, interactive Picture of the Week area is going strong! Congratulations to Wetpixel staff member Luiz Rocha for winning the staff POTW competition, which we used as a test of the new system. Our first general POTW competition has just entered its voting phase, and a new POTW has been kicked off with the theme, “Sharks and Rays”.
New POTW competitions will begin every Sunday night at midnight. Prizes are being organized, and will be retroactively awarded starting from POTW #110.
Nikon D200 spotted in forums
Hands-on news about the Nikon D200 has started to appear in the forums, along with speculation about how it might be taken underwater. The D200 will surely be a welcome—and very much needed—addition to Nikon’s line of digital SLRs commonly used underwater.
Modifying the Hotshoe for the Subal D2x
Wetpixel moderator Luiz Rocha has put together an article explaining how to modify the Subal D2x hotshoe in order to eliminate erratic camera behavior. According to Luiz: “The problem: The D2x in Subal housings would erratically not fire the strobes or not save random images to the memory card. This is true for Subtronics and Sea&Sea strobes, but appears to not happen with Ikelite strobes.” The solution is removal of one of the hot-shoe pins - follow the link to find out how.
- NG photographer Cotton Coulson dies while diving in Norway (via )
- Live walrus cam in Round Island, Alaska (via )
- Legendary photographer Mary Ellen Mark passes at 75 (via )
- Nikon updates D750 firmware to 1.02 (via )
- Canon updates EOS 7D Mark II firmware to 1.04 (via )
- Long exposure portraits lit by bioluminescent plankton (via )
- Tenba unveils self-stowing camera bag (via )
- Motion updated to version 5.2.1 (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro to 10.2.1 (via )
- Apple updates RAW compatibility (via )