Ocean Views is now part of the Windland Awards
Rare beaked whale filmed underwater for first time ever
Yesterday a 45-second video clip of a True’s beaked whale (Mesoplodon mirus) was released to the world, along with a study published in the scientific journal PeerJ. This was the first underwater video ever recorded of this particular whale species, and one of only a handful of live sightings. True’s beaked whales can hold their breaths for hours and are believed to dive as deep as 10,000 feet.
Video: Misool Foundation
The Misool Foundation has released a new film showcasing the work that the organisation does to protect the Misool Marine Conservation Area in Raja Ampat, Indonesia. Filmed by Shawn Heinrichs, the film shows how sustainable ecotourism combined with community based conservation can ensure be effective in reducing largely negative human impact.
Inon ships monitor housing for Sony RM-LVR3
Inon has announced the release of their housing for the RM-LVR3 monitor that ships with the Sony FDR-X3000R/HDR-AS300R Action Cams. It is designed to attach to the Inon SD Mount Base for the camera. As the monitor uses wifi to connect to the camera, it is crucial that the two are mounted closely together.
Video of baby whale shark being released from fishing net
Earth Touch News has released a video of a baby whale shark pup being released from a gillnet back to the ocean in India. The fisherman found the small whale shark entangled in his net off the west coast of India near the fishing village of Sutrapada and filmed the release back to the wild. Baby whale sharks are rarely seen and sightings like this could aid in the locating whale shark breeding grounds.
Understanding Papua New Guinea by Don Silcock
Report: Gulen Nudibranch Safari
University of Miami now accepting entries for 2017 UW Photo contest
The University of Miami (UM) Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science is now accepting entries for its annual Underwater Photography Contest. The Underwater Photography Contest is open to all amateur photographers who earn no more than 20 percent of their income from photography. The top prize is a trip on Blackbeard’s Cruises, departing from Freeport, Bahamas. The deadline for submitting photos is 12p.m., U.S. Eastern Time on Monday, April 3, 2017.
- Canon updates 1D X firmware to 2.0.8 (via )
- Nikon updates D7100 C firmware to version 1.03 (via )
- 3 Instagram photographers receive $10K grants from Getty Images (via )
- Marine mammals gain protections from Navy sonar testing in… (via )
- Near miss between breaching humpback and kayak in Monterey (via )
- Canon updates 7D Mark II firmware to version 1.0.5 (via )
- GoPro’s 360 degree 15k dollar camera the Odyssey (via )
- Issue 20 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available (via )
- Apple updates Pro Video formats to 2.0.2. (via )
- Motion and Compressor update to 5.2.2. and 4.2.1 (via )